Baby/Infant car seats

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
Have any of you folks any experience with using two carseats in the back; one front and the other rear facing? My seats will not fit next to each other so they would have to be installed adjacent to the doors leaving the middle of the bench unoccupied. My two year old boy is fine sitting alone back there but if my family needs to travel with our newborn as well, my wife needs to sit back there and supervise him. The question is how practical would this be if she could fit between the seats to begin with. My true concern is how safe this would actually be since my wife has no access to the doors. My other concern is how far forward my own seat would have to be to accomodate enough clearance for the rear-facing car seat, or if I install the forward facing one, enough clearance so that the two-year old can't kick the back of my seat? So to clarify, is it possible to have two occupied baby/infant carseats and a supervising adult in the rear bench?

The obvious solution is to upgrade to a roomier vehicle, but in a few years time those seats may not be needed and that eliminates my dillemma above. Of course, eventually the family will outgrow the Trac but at least I was able to get hopefully another 100k miles out of it.

Looking forward to your feedback. Thanks!

I myself tried the same thing but i was unsuccessful. I am 6'3'' an my seat is almost all the way back so i cant fit a car seat there

So i ended putting them side by side.

I have 2 that use a base to quick connect in an i thought the overall size of the car seat was big so i tried finding smaller ones but no luck

Go to a Buy Buy Baby store near you. They will test fit every seat until you have the correct fit. They receive training and guidance from the manufacturers and the CHP. :driving:

We did it a few times with the rear facing in the middle and the front facing one closest to a door and my wife sat by the otherdoor. It's hard to buckle the seats in but we made it work after about 5 min.

We've got two seats in the back now (one forward facing Britax and a rear facing Graco infant seat). They seem to work fine, though it is a tight fit for a middle passenger. We've done it a few times (wife is 5'6" and 130#). I am 6'2" and with my seat all the way back, the 2-year old in the forward-facing Britax does just fine (though she can definitely kick the seat). The passenger seat has to be slid forward to clear the rear-facing Graco, but there's still enough room there for normal-sized passengers.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the replies guys. My car seats definitely cannot be installed next to each other so I have no choice but to leave each one adjacent to the doors and my wife will have to sit up front instead of in between the seats back there when we are travelling with both boys. The other concern was with the wife (or anyone) not being able to sit next to the newborn during transit when the two year old is also travelling, but when she recently drove her car with both boys unattended in the back (obviously) everything went well. We'll see how it goes especially on longer trips.

Thanks again for the helpful feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts