Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a friend of mine that saw it said,,,

Same plot as many many movies but the special affects especially in 3-D are very good...

Not my kind of movie, just passing on the info...

Avatar was great! I didn't have high hopes going in, and my wife really doesn't care much for sci-fi, but we both loved it. It was the first movie we saw in 3-D and thought it was pretty cool, although a little distracting at times.

We made it a double-feature night and saw "Nine" after it, we almost walked out. Neither of us understand the rave reviews its getting, "Chicago" was sooo much better.

Stephen Lang (the Colonel) really saved that movie. I knew it was going to be plagiarizing Dances with Wolves, but the Colonel's awesomeness pleasantly surprised me. He was so awesome that Cameron had to resort to plot holes and cliches to kill him :D

I agree that the CG was pretty awesome, though I didn't bother with the 3d. I knew the humans would be "bad" and "loose" going in, but I still thought it was an OK movie, so since odds are ya'll will have the opposite thoughts as I, you'll like it. IMO sherlock holmes was pretty good as well.

I didn't like the jab at the US Marine Corps the movie made though :(

(Interestingly, Sam Worthington the main character, had to use MCMAP esque fighting techniques to beat the chief's son)

In the end, the humans ultimately win, since Unobtainium is a room-temperature superconductor, and there's no way humanity will let that go. Again, a plus.

So, here's a question. At the end, when the race traitors take the Hallelujah Mountain base to the Na'vi's stronghold, and Stephen Lang breaks the glass to let the noxious air in, where did the pansy scientist whose avatar was killed go? All the avatar pods were in one spot.

Also, if the magnetic interference of the hallelujah mountains and the tree of life blocked all sensors, how then did the avatar pod's signals work?

And why did the Na'vi arrows, which didn't do jack against the hovercraft in the fight at the tree, magically have the ability to turn the hovercraft into pincushions in the final battle?

While we're asking questions, when Sam Worthington's avatar goes unconscious in the forest when the great tree is obliterated (yeah!), how come he awoke later unharmed? In the real world, when you pull a rip van winkle, animals will eat you.

(Of course, the planet was revealed to have control over all animals on it, so that could answer this)

Lastly, why wasn't the traitorous helicopter chick killed, or at least incarcerated, after she cut and ran from the battle? Deserters get executed last I heard.

It is basically a grown up Ferngully. But the visuals are stunning to say the least. Script could have been written by Al Gore, so just expect that angle when you sit down.

Ferngully, Dances with Wolves, Pocahontas, the Endor portion of Return of the Jedi, The Mission...There are SO many movies that can be listed with the same general technologically-superior-group-gets-a$$-whooping-from-less-technologically-advanced-group.

It was very good--but I definitely won't go so far as to say "Absolute best 3-D sci-fi movie EVER!!!" like the OP did. Especially when the term "EVER" means past, present, AND FUTURE. Hollywood is just now breaking new ground on this technology, and I'm sure it will be used with equal awesomeness sometime soon, but on a movie with a better and more original plot line...

Bill V said:
but I definitely won't go so far as to say "Absolute best 3-D sci-fi movie EVER!!!" like the OP did.

It is absolutely the best 3-D sci-fi movie I have ever seen. But then again, it's the only one I have ever seen. ;-)

TJR

Absolutely stunning visuals throughout the film. I mean jaw-dropping good. Nothing like this has ever been put on film before, and at $400 million, it won't likely be repeated too soon. Saw it in IMAX 3D and it far exceeded my expectations in terms of visual and audio effects despite the amount of hype around it.

The plot and acting were predictable but far better than other SFX-heavy films in recent years (Transformers, for example, was unwatchable in comparison). The similarities to other films, from Cameron's own The Abyss to Return of the Jedi and Jurassic Park, were obvious throughout, but the plot did a good enough job moving things along from one scene to the next. (Let's face it, this was never going to be The Shawshank Redemption.)

I have to completely disagree about the Colonel's character. I thought he was a caricature instead of a character and overacted the hell out of every line he had.

All-in-all, go see it in the theater. Half of the fun (at least) is in the A/V experience, and no matter what system you have at home it's not going to be the same as on the big screen.

$400,000,000 should have bought a better plot than indians vs. the white man IMO. But the movie was incredible from a visual aspect.

My kids saw it yesterday and said it was the biggest pile of greenie propaganda to come out of Hollywood yet.

Latest posts