Auxiliary Input in Adrenaline?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Stehle

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's possible to rig an auxiliary input to the stock gen 1 adrenaline head unit? I think it's a great unit, this is the only thing I wish it had. Maybe using the XM inputs somehow?

Only using an in-line FM modulator. That's how I had to do it on my '04 Adrenalin to use my iPod. I'm now thinking of replacing the Adrenalin head unit with an aftermarket one that has iPod interface capabilites, Bluetooth, nav, etc. Here's some pics of my install. Pay no attention to the messing wiring!

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. Is all that extra wiring just for the FM modulator? Did you hook yours up to charge while plugged in? This looks like a good option...I was looking into a pioneer nav head unit but just can't buy it right now. Is the sound quality good?

Are the wires you tapped into the seat heater and/or motor wires?

Thanks!

For the iPod, I bought a USB cable similar to the one linked below. From that cable, I connect the RCA outputs into the modulator.

The 12V DC positive leads from the USB cable and the FM modulator are connected to the positive wire of the cigarette lighter. This provides a constant 12V DC to the iPod, so it's always charging, and I don't have to use the iPod's battery in the vehicle. The ground wires for both are attached to the console bracket screws as seen in the first picture above. I ran the 12V DC positive wire for the modulator through the switch seen above on the bezel, just below the rear window knob. This isn't necessary, but I did it to cut power to the modulator when it's not being used. If it's on all the time, it causes major noise on the AM band. I know most folks probably don't listen to AM that much anymore, but I like to listen to Cardinal baseball on AM, so that's why I installed the switch.

In my opinion, given the fact that the Adrenalin system is already a very system for OEM, it sounds pretty good. I was previously using an over-the-air FM modulator, and this is tons better. Not as good as an aftermarket unit with a direct iPod interface, but it's the best way to interface with the OEM Adrenalin unit.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts