Aux In for an MP3 player on a 2002 factory radio??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Mitchell

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone knows if its possible to hook up some sort of direct Aux In cable to a 2002 Sport Trac factory radio. The cassette adaptor and the RF things don't work well.

Thanks!

What OEM radio do you have? The one cassette/single CD unit? If so, your best option would be an in-line FM modulator. That's what I did, and it works better than an over-the-air FM modulator. Granted, it's not as good as real Aux input, but it's the best you're gonna get with an OEM radio that doesn't have any aux inputs. Here are a few pictures of my setup:

FM Modulator (I know, the wires are a mess, but they're covered by the console):D

[Broken External Image]:

I bought a 30-pin connector cable on eBay that plugs into the iPod and has both power out and RCAs for audio. The RCA's go to the FM modulator, and the power wires are connected to a 12VDC constant to power/charge the iPod. I ran the modulator power through a simple toggle switch mounted on the radio bezel. You'll want this if you listen to AM, because the modulator buzzes on the AM band when it's on.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:

....i found the Modulator in your picture for $50 online. Is it easy enough to install? I've never messed with car radios before. How long did it take? Is all the wiring done at the back of the radio or do you have to get under the hood or dash also? The 30-pin thing is optional, right?

Nick,

If the modulator to which you're referring is the one from Crutchfield, that's the one I used. It's very easy to install. You can just tap into the power wires from the back of the radio, no need to go under the hood. You don't have to get the 30-pin connector. You can just get a connector that goes from your headphone jack into RCA plugs. I just preferred the 30-pin connector because it simplified the connections, and it allows for power to the iPod in the vehicle instead of using the battery. Also, the audio out of the 30-pin connection is a constant level. The audio out of the headphone jack will vary with the iPod's volume setting.

Another thing that would be a worthwhile investment is a wiring manual for your Trac. You can pick one up fairly cheaply on eBay. I have one for my '04 and it's paid for itself many times over.

Also, pick up a pair of these radio removal tools at Wal-Mart. Under $5, and makes removing the radio much easier.

2b3fedc36038c454894efc0928dd984f.jpg

If you have any more questions, give me a shout.

Nick,

Someone just posted this on another thread. It's the kind of harness I use to connect my iPod to the FM modulator. If wired, it also supplies power to the iPod.

71dc1fe3ccfbf5a828b7e7de6f9a9657.jpg

You can buy a decent head unit for 100 to 150 dollars with all the good stuff on it.

That's the way I went and I'm lovin' it. No comparison to the stock unit.

I originally went this route because I've been happy with the performance of the OEM 2004 Pioneer Adrenalin system, but wanted an iPod interface of some sort. I'm now starting to consider replacing the head unit with a double-din unit with DVD/Bluetooth/iPod capabilities...

I don't see how you could lose doing that, Trac. Plus, it would look GREAT!

They're still kinda pricey, but they've come down a lot of the past couple of years.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had to go quick, cheap and easy for now.....I tried the MONSTER RADIOPLAY 300. Got it off ebay for ~$20. It is just a regular cigarette lighter/FM transmitter, but to my surprise it works really well. The reception comes through even on a "busy" FM station. Sounds decent and works fine even in the city. I never thought a regular transmitter would be this useable. Obviously not as clean as the better suggestions above, but passable for now.