ATV opinions anyone???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan betts

Reaction score
so i am just about ready to get my first atv, but i am unsure which brand/size i want to get. i am leaning towards honda because i hear nothing but good things about them. my next decision is the size... i dont know if i want to get the honda recon es or the honda rancher 4x4. i have been told that the recons go through the same stuff that the 4x4's do because their so light, and i am not big either so i am thinking that 2wd will do. i also would like to keep the price i spend reasonable as it is a toy for me and i will be trying to get a condo soon too. so what are your thoughts on these particular atv's?? any other makes/models that i should look at? thanks, Ryan

Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI with EPS. Great machine and this will be my 5th yamaha. Nothing but great, reliable machines. Like anything, if you take care of it it will take care of you.

Regards,

Pat

I always had Hondas and had great luck with them, if I were to buy another, it would be a Honda, but the last one I had was a new three wheeler, so I don't know anything about them in the last 25 years.

My father has had a Polaris a couple years ago and I really didn't care for it, but that's personal preference. A lot of those places have test tracks that you can try them out though.

You cannot go wrong with Yamaha. I looked for a long time at Rhinos, but ultimately decided against based on size. From everything I read, however, they're reliable machines.

Now, I cannot say enough good things about Polaris.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the main purpose of the atv going to be? If you don't need a 4x4 quad then I would seriously consider a sport quad like a Honda 400ex or a 450r. I personally have only had Hondas since my first 3 wheeler back in 1984. Currently I ride a 2007 Honda 450r but that may be a bit much for your first atv as they are more of a race bred quad. Ultimately it boils down to what you want it to do.

Check out the "Giving a grizzly to the grizzlies" article (PDF File)in my library.

Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS is one heck of a machine.

It was rated by many as the #1 ATV last year.

Adam, that Polaris is one nice looking machine as well!:cool:

Bud

i want a atv i can take in the mud and on trails . i dont really want a sport quad because when i want to go fast ill just take out my sport bike. i have never riden a sport quad, but i dont think that i'd want to take one of them through mud. ps. that polaris is bad ass but its probably well out of my price range. i will def take a look at your article Bud, and a look at the grizzly in person.

I say get 400+CC engine at least and 4x4 and you are good to go, the bigger atv/engine the bigger tires/lift you can run. I ride a 400CC bike and play with he 800+ bikes. Price also comes into play as you go bigger!

If you don't want fast, but want to play in the mud, don't go 2wd....You will soon realize that without speed mud will be good excercise;):D

Becides, if you want to do yard work, haul wood/dirt around the yard, clean snow (depending where you live) etc the 4x4 will be much nicer.

My 2cents

D

I say go for the grizzly

I regularily go quadding with my buddies and we have:

2 x 700 grizzlies

1 x 800 can-am renegade

1 x 650 arctic cat

and 1 friend on a ktm 450

For what we have put them through all of these machines have done incredible

Buying a Quad without four wheel drive would be a mistake. jmho. Brands don't matter as much as taking care of them does. I am a Polaris fan but i don't thinks its like ford vs. Chevy type of issue. I have only heard good things about honda and have caught a lot of crap for having a polaris 4 wheeler and a polaris snowmobile. too each there own i guess.

Latest posts