Attn: TJR - Focus tires....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenn D

Reaction score
Hey Tom, I'm going this weekend to get new shoes for the Focus before the rainy season down here. I'm just curious what you ended up getting and what you think about them.

For anyone else who happens upon this thread, I welcome any suggestions too. We're looking to get a descent mid-range tire that won't be tough on the wallet. Any thoughts?

FWIW, I do mostly highway driving, and it gets really wet down here in the summers (Orlando, FL). No need to snow/ice driving capabilities. Just need a good tire that is economical.

Jenn,

I ended up getting the "BF Goodrich Traction T/A" tires, just under $80 apiece, installed at Costco.

I've put several thousand miles on them and they are wearing well. They handle great. I haven't slipped yet at take-off, nor hyroplaned since putting them on (both things that were happening the last 10k miles of the OEM tires all the time).

Now is time to get your alignment checked. My car needed to be re-aligned slightly when I had the new tires put on.

See the original thread below:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Tom! Good to know about the alignment. I'll need to do that too since my tires are also cupping and have worn oddly.

The cupping and tire-wear issues to make me angry though because we have 3 Fords in our driveway ('01 ranger, '03 ST, and '07 focus) and ALL of them had cupping within the first 10,000 miles with the OEM tires. Sounds to me like they put crummy tires on their vehicles out of the factory and/or they don't properly align their vehicles before they send them out, or it could be any number of other FIXABLE issues....

Jenn,

I hear you. My Focus and my ST both at 20k miles exhibited cupping, and that was with routine rotations and alignment checks.

The service manager at the local tire shop said he sees it all the time with Fords. He blames it on "slop", the fact that no amount of alignment seems to make a difference with (some) Fords.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator: