Attn: Jeff C.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Phillips

Reaction score
Jeff, just installed my new headlights, and I LOVE THEM! Except for one tiny issue- low beams setting is actually high beams, and vice-versa. Any idea how to fix it? Do yours do it?

Did yours come with a relay? Can you just switch the relay wires for hi/lo?

I'm about to jump in chat if you want.

That's what I thought, but normally when high beam is selected, low beam lead has no power, therefore if I switch the leads, I have no high beams. The relays engage as they should, but the bulbs go out. If I switch the relay leads, the bulbs try to retract further instead of extending.

Hmmm, lemme see... black to ground, red to positive... Yeah I got it right. As far as I can tell, they were designed to work this way. I read the description on the website, and it seems to be working as they describe. Unfortunately, it seems they have differant ideas between low beam and high beam. It's got a controller box with a circuit board, so I'm thinking I've either got to change the box if I can find another one, live with it, or re-wire the stalk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking into doing this myself also.. can both of you please post links to what you got. so I can check out the Lights and the site(s)

Thanks..

Larry, have you tried e-mailing the seller to see what they say? Maybe they will exchange the lights or the control box for one that works properly. If it's how they're designed, I'm sure they've encountered this problem before.

Larry... I just figured out the problem.

You've got a kit for 9004, not 9007.

In a 9007 bulb, the filaments are parallel to the length of the bulb. On a 9004, they're perpendicular.

On a 9007 HID kit, the bulb should move up and down, not in and out.

Even if you get it wired right, your brights will still be funky since it's moving the focal point to the wrong spot.

Problem solved. Thanks for your help Dingo, I didn't even think about it possibly being a 9004 box. The bulbs in the kit are specified as 9004/9007 because they both have the same plug into the ballast box, but the controller box is differant. I switched the inputs around in the kit's plug, and everything works fine!

Again, thanks for your help Dingo!!

Latest posts