Atoto S8 Standard—Installed in my ST….Wow!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kale D

2001 Job 1 Sport Trac
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
So after spending about a month now with it, felt I could comment properly on the unit, as some are skeptical of these types of brands. I was too and researched for quite some time before I pulled the trigger. Mainly I was finding that the people that talked the most hate, had never even tried them. Lots of people were enjoying them and the price point for the abundance of features, finally swayed me.

I bought the Atoto S8 Standard, with the S8 line being their premium tier of units. It’s an android auto unit that also does CarPlay. I’ll just put a link to Amazon and you can look yourself.

https://www.amazon.ca/ATOTO-2Din-An...fos.320d95fa-54fe-43a9-b26a-8c3843032e68&th=1
Installed myself with no issues, pretty easy to do. Just order your vehicle specific factory harness and the S8 comes with everything else you need.

As I said, I use CarPlay. The wireless CarPlay has worked flawlessly so far. Wired works great too. I also played around with the Android interface and must say, it’s pretty cool. It’s nice essentially having a tablet and able to download whatever you want.

Where I was pleasantly surprised was the sound quality. It really does sound awesome whether it’s Sirius, Radio, Podcasts or Apple Music. The EQ and time correction work very well. I have 4 older Sony Xplode 6x9’s.

Anyway, I just wanted to help those that might be on the fence about the Atoto brand and whether they should try it or spend triple or more to get the same features with a “brand name”. I’m very happy. Will post about longevity after more time with it.

Attachments

• IMG_0132.jpeg
    IMG_0132.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
How and where do I order my vehicle specific wiring harness, I m also installing the s8 standard, I bought the brackets and dash cam and back up cam to go with it. I don’t know which wiring harness I need to go with it .

I have the same unit installed for over a year and love it for the most part. Lately it has been disconnecting from android auto after about 5 to 10 min after startup but re connects with the push of a button. Other than that issue it is a cheap and easy way to add modern touches to the old girl. I had to trim the bezel slightly to fit the unit

I have the same unit installed for over a year and love it for the most part. Lately it has been disconnecting from android auto after about 5 to 10 min after startup but re connects with the push of a button. Other than that issue it is a cheap and easy way to add modern touches to the old girl. I had to trim the bezel slightly to fit the unit
Which sport trac do you own? And I m asking because I am looking at affordable wiring harness to get for this autoto S8 standard. I have no clue as many website and many people say many things. I have a subwoofer in the back of my rear seat

How and where do I order my vehicle specific wiring harness, I m also installing the s8 standard, I bought the brackets and dash cam and back up cam to go with it. I don’t know which wiring harness I need to go with it .
I believe the cams just attach to the unit, the stereo harness comes with those connects. Pretty sure it’s all in the manual and you should be able to visually identify them.

Any harnesses you need just either go to Crutchfield or to one of the companies like Metra or Scosche. Pretty much just enter your vehicle. Or Amazon.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0007KK24M?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_detailsThat is for the truck to stereo hookup.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0009JSDYC?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1That’s the kit I bought. I did have to do some filing and minor cuts to make it work.

Those are for Gen 1’s though but you get the idea.

If you are not comfortable doing this, get it done correctly at an installer. Though many won’t install these “Chinese” units. Solder and heat shrink is the best way but heat shrink butt connectors are fine too.

Also be aware that because these units don’t follow North American standards, you may find it’s not just a slide right in fit. Mine was super tight, hence some trimming of the bezels. It actually worked out better though as I didn’t want it to sit too far back and it sat nice and snug at the front of the bezel like in my pic.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot. I just ordered one from metra, hopefully it works flawlessly.

Appreciate the time taken to comment

I'm a fan of these as well. Installed a 10" S8 Ultra in my 09. Went with a custom launcher (Car Launcher) on it and customized my own interface.

Bought the same one 2 years ago. Absolutely love it. Only drive the truck a few months each year.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230713_164936_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230713_164936_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 0
I'm a fan of these as well. Installed a 10" S8 Ultra in my 09. Went with a custom launcher (Car Launcher) on it and customized my own interface.

could you share a picture of how the 10" floating screen looks in the 2nd gen dash? i'd love to see how it looks and how much it covers, etc...

Here you go. I think it fits quite nicely. :) Vents are only slightly blocked (which is a good thing as it throws some cool air on the unit in the heat of the summer)
Cheers!

Attachments

• PXL_20230802_165214960.jpg
    PXL_20230802_165214960.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
thanks, yea that does look pretty nice, looks similar to some of the newer floating screen designs that are OEM

So after spending about a month now with it, felt I could comment properly on the unit, as some are skeptical of these types of brands. I was too and researched for quite some time before I pulled the trigger. Mainly I was finding that the people that talked the most hate, had never even tried them. Lots of people were enjoying them and the price point for the abundance of features, finally swayed me.

I bought the Atoto S8 Standard, with the S8 line being their premium tier of units. It’s an android auto unit that also does CarPlay. I’ll just put a link to Amazon and you can look yourself.

https://www.amazon.ca/ATOTO-2Din-An...fos.320d95fa-54fe-43a9-b26a-8c3843032e68&th=1
Installed myself with no issues, pretty easy to do. Just order your vehicle specific factory harness and the S8 comes with everything else you need.

As I said, I use CarPlay. The wireless CarPlay has worked flawlessly so far. Wired works great too. I also played around with the Android interface and must say, it’s pretty cool. It’s nice essentially having a tablet and able to download whatever you want.

Where I was pleasantly surprised was the sound quality. It really does sound awesome whether it’s Sirius, Radio, Podcasts or Apple Music. The EQ and time correction work very well. I have 4 older Sony Xplode 6x9’s.

Anyway, I just wanted to help those that might be on the fence about the Atoto brand and whether they should try it or spend triple or more to get the same features with a “brand name”. I’m very happy. Will post about longevity after more time with it.
Kale
Thanks so much for the great information. Had look at your Amazon link and some great info there also.
Quick question: does this Atoto support steering wheel controls?

Kale
Thanks so much for the great information. Had look at your Amazon link and some great info there also.
Quick question: does this Atoto support steering wheel controls?

It does. Mine doesn’t have it though so no first hand experience with it. I’ve seen people having issues with it but from the sounds of the info it’s an install issue. Backup cameras look like an easy install as well. Plus, you can get one for free lol. I actually turned it down as I don’t want one but Atoto contacted me through a 3rd party and tried to “buy” a review on Amazon by giving me one. I don’t like the tactic personally but whatever.

Just stick to the S8 line, more bang for your buck, at least until they raise prices on them. If I had a Gen 2 I’d probably get a floating screen but with the Gen 1 setup, in dash seems to look better.

Still no issues with mine and we’ve had plenty of hot summer heat. Just make sure you are thorough with your install and don’t just tape things together like some people have done and wonder why they have issues.

Kale
Thanks so much for your awesome reply. As you suggested I am going to order the S8.
Just wondering about two things:
- dash kit. I have 2009 Adrenalin sport trac.
- does Navigation include Canada or do I load it in through Google Play Store
Thanks…Bernie

Kale
Thanks so much for your awesome reply. As you suggested I am going to order the S8.
Thanks…Bernie
These are basically Android tablets so you either use Android Auto/Carplay or you can install Apps from the Google play store. I went with one that has a sim slot and have a data plan for mine so I use the apps (Maps, Waze etc) from the play store... Also in Canada :)
Steering wheel controls are programmable from the device but not all are mappable. Working great for me in my 2009 XLT.

Kale
Thanks…Bernie

Dash kit just google for your vehicle, lots out there, most will be the same. You may have to alter it a bit to get the best fit but not hard to do.

Maps will be whatever your phone is using, Google Maps, Apple Maps, Waze, etc. If you use CarPlay like me, it’s basically all there already once you link up.

Latest posts