Are they "Mods" or is it a Shopping List?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
The Dyno thread and the discussion about what is and isn't a "Mod" reminded me of one of my biggest peeves: Shopping lists of parts that people list that they install on their cars or computers or house, etc. to make it better.

Why brag about buying something and installing it? What does that prove? Same for bragging about having someone else work on your stuff.

Real bragging should be when someone designs something new from scratch or creates something from scratch.

"Shopping" as a mod isn't anything worth bragging about in my book.

Not much. I installed ProComp 9000 shocks all the way around. I run Mobil 1 in it with a Mobil 1 filter. The console is stuffed with CDs of my taste. I did add (Ford) mudflaps when I got it., and I hope to change out the crapyear tires someday soon. No other "mods".

I think any deviation from stock would be considered a mod(ification).

And that's my opinion that no one asked for. Have a nice day. :D

Oh, I agree that anything different over how it rolled off the assembly line would be a modification. An upgrade would be a change that improves something over the old condition.

My point is: Who cares if the owner just bought something and slapped it on? Why is that something to be proud of? Are we really honoring the owner for knowing how to use a credit card?

I think someones mods offended Gavin personally in order to make an entire thread about them. Better idea Gavin, just dont click on threads that people talk about mods that way you wont get offended. and never look or consider any aftermarket parts for anything you ever own again. I think that way you can stay happy. Wow... did this really need its own thread.

I like seeing and hearing what people have done to their tracs. If it looks cool, you know exactly what to go buy to do it yourself. I'd be more annoyed if someone posted a pic of a nicely moded trac and wouldn't say what they used or whatever.

Having said that... I can't believe I'm responding to this. :D

I feel that many of the "mods" people list aren't mods, but upgrades. Floormats, mud flaps, stickers, all that stuff are just upgrades or convience items. Exhaust, intakes, stuff like that are more mods.

However, there is a very big difference between "custom" and "aftermarket". Aftermarket is anything bought off a shelf, which makes up the vast majority of what people install. Custom is something that is made, handmade. If you have to fabricate it, or it has to be fabricated for you, that's custom. Not everyone feels the same way. Just like there is a huge difference between a hot rod and a street rod, a 'ricer' and a tuner, a lowrider and a cruiser, etc. Most people just lump cars of a similar style into one category, when the differences between the cars are as vast as a lifted truck and a lowered truck. But I digress, no one seems to agree with me outside of people who live, breathe, and live custom cars.

Wow.

People upgrade and modify stuff on their vehicles to customize it and make it their own. So you're saying that nobody should ever put anything on their car or truck that they didn't make with their own two hands..that's ridiculous.

How would changing the oil be considered a mod? Even if you put Mobil 1 or Royal Purple into your truck, it would still be maintenance.

I do agree with Gavin on one point though. Even though I have bragged about my upgrades in the past, it shouldn't be the most important thing to anyone. The important thing is our friendship we share here.

Especially on Thanksgiving, I remember to be thankful for my family and friends (including the ones I have here). I am thankful that I have a job that allows me to spend money on frivolous things such as mods, but that isn't the focus of my life.

Thanks Nelson. I didn't mean to attack anyone or offend anyone. I just was trying to point out that lots of folks (not even on this site) like to list shopping lists of store-bought purchases that they put on their cars, trucks, computers, etc., and the ability to purchase stuff is glorified, rather than a specific feat or accomplishment.

Even though he purchased and had installation help with the blower, I was really enjoying BaronIV's experience telling all the work and trouble and feelings about his blower. He was activeley involved in it and was freely sharing his experiences, good and bad.

Now, I do think that this whole thread has gotten blown way out of proportion and we have spent way too much talking about this for what it is worth.

Thanks to each and all of you for the information and feelings you share about your Tracs and your lives. Although I don't always agree with everything here, and I know most folks don't agree with me much, I do appreciate hearing about all the different experiences and points of view.

I hope each of you and your families have a safe, happy, and content Thanksgiving. (Even you Muslims!)

Latest posts