Are these shocks adequate?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Ohnsman

Reaction score
My '03 ST 4WD is in need of new shocks. With about 85K, the ride is very bouncy and the suspension is making squeaking noises. I'm pretty sure shocks are a big part of the problem. I found these Monroe Matic Plus shocks through RockAuto, about $16.00 per, (which is dirt cheap compared to anything the dealer or local tire shops are quoting). Will they be adequate? I rarely have the vehicle offroad and with 85K on the clock, really don't want to spend a bunch. Anyone familiar with these shocks? - Monroe 32296 --

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?catalog=904&partnum=32296&a=FR904-32296-26547

If you liked the stock shocks, they're fine. If you think the stock shocks were junk from day one, they will be too soft. I put them on my Trac first when I needed shocks and drove with them for a couple of years. I replaced them last year with Reflexes. I like the ride much better since it feels much more in control. It's stiffer, but feels more like a truck should now.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm not mistaken, the Reflexes were discontinued. Monroe SensaTracs (or the NAPA brand counterpart) are highly recommended. I think I've read that you can get the NAPA labeled SensaTracs for about $17 each.

Seems NAPA Sensatrac prices have gone up substantially. :cry:

Amazon is cheaper on the Monroe's. (Same model number)

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on dreman on the reflex. they drastically improve the ride. Be careful buying from an online supplier, they are cheaper but it can be very difficult getting your prts warrantied.

Sorry, I was wrong about the Reflexes. According to Monroe's website, they still seem to be in production. Disregard me.

For shocks equivlant to the reflex. Monroes' sister brand, Rancho rs5000. Is the same as the reflex and the old rsx.

RSX, that's it!

I really like my Rancho RS5000 shocks.

They still make the reflex. They dont list a part# for the front of gen1 tracs. Only rear.

IMO, for my service and control I like them front and rear. Sesatracs are good but too soft for me.

Yeah, it's the RSX that I was thinking of.

Sorry, I was wrong about the Reflexes. According to Monroe's website, they still seem to be in production. Disregard me.

I put Bilstein's on the front several years ago and Rancho's on the back (because Bilsteins were not available for the rear 4x4 at the time). My OEM shocks were way to soft after only 10K miles or so. Been happy with the replacements for over 60K miles.

Doug in NC

Latest posts