Are Identity Monitoring Services Worth It?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff C

Reaction score
So I had to call in to activate a new card and they kept pushing their service because it was free for 30 days, cancel any time, even right after receiving your report. Well I got my report and everything in the mail (I'd never seen my credit score so I wanted to know and since it was free, no biggie) and everything is correct. I'm pretty knowledgeable about protecting my identity (CC offers in the mail are shredded and the shreddings are burned, don't give out info online or phone, etc, etc). Is it worth it to keep the service for $13 a month since it offers protection and insurance?

Any input is appreciated.

We had CC fraud once, but Discover took care of the charges. If fact, they called us immediately after the suspicious charges, knowing it was unlike our spending habits. I run a few free reports every 3 months but no string attached to buy into the protection. Also, our local insurance companies offer ID theft protection, so you could maybe call for a quote for comparison. If we decide to do it, i would much rather our local agent take care of it than a big name chain you never knew, IMO! Good luck~

Yeah, I mean, when I was in Alaska last summer as I was leaving the register at a store in Juneau I got a call from them asking if I was making a purchase in Juneau, Alaska at XXXX store, lol. I told them yes I was on vacation and they said thanks and they were just verifying, so that made me feel good. I'll probably cancel the service, but it was free to sign up and try so why not.

By law, you are allowed to run a free credit report from each of the major reporting agencies (TransUnion, Experian, and Equifax) once a year. You don't have to obtain the reports all at once, so you could run one at a time every four months, and probably be able to stay on top of things.

Other than that, just look over your bill very carefully every month, making sure that there aren't any charges present for which you can't account.

Free credit report link:

Jeff, for the future it is best that you call your credit card companies and let them know you will be traveling, especially if you leave the country. I have known people that had problems (mostly out of the country) when their card was denied.

We use two that you mentioned TrainTrac, then alternate SS#'s so we get 4/yr. total. We also keep every CC receipt and verify when we get the bill.

There is a big difference between Credit Card fraud and Identity theft.

By law, all credit card companies must clear fraudulent charges from your account, and most charges a very obcious...So obvious that some credit card companies will call to verify the charges (I had AmEx) do that) and they will take the charges off your bill.

Identity theft is different in as much as they steal your identity, and get new credit cards or open other credit accounts in your name. These can usually be shown to be obvious cases of ID theft.

Sometimes the thief can even get new ID, drivers licenses, and your birth certificate, etc. Those incidents are much more rarere and harder to prove that it was not you. To steal someone's Identity requires a great deal of knowledge and information about someone, so these types of thefts are typically "Inside jobs" and the information was obtained from someone who works at an office where they keep that kind of information, or someon hacked into their system. This would be like the credit card company, Mortgage company, banks, or even government agencies.

I always give different answers to some of the security questions asked by some banks, etc. Like pets names. i usually give a name that starts with the same leter at the business that I am doing business with. It may not prove anything, but it does show me the source of the information leak. I do the same think when they ask for my mother's maiden name, and that also makes it harder for a hacker to find out where you were born and get a birth certificate when he doe not know your mother's maiden name.

I tyhink it would be good if the US would require PIN numbers for Social Security numbers. You do not give your PIN number to anyone but anyone needing to know your SSN can have it but it require you to enter your PIN on a special key pad similar to a PIN number on a credit/debit card. The keypads would be controlled only by the Social Security Administration and would would be encrypted duriing transmission and the key code changed randomly like satellite tranmissions are changed every 90 seconds or so.

That may sound like overkill, but if you consideer that you do not need to give your SSAN very often, and even if there is a slight delay, it's not a big issue. It ould only be a big issue for the crooks who don't want to hang around becausee the police may have been called???

Yes there will be some idiots who forget their PIN and there would have to be a much more eleaborate way to give them their PIN, or assing them a temporary new one...But even then, most crooks are not going to want to hang around or waiting to get caught.

It might even be possible to have a secondary PIN that could be used once you were photographed and fingerprinted, etc. Perhaps you fingerprint could be digitized and serve as a secondary PIN ??

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ That guy is being sued by most of his clients because he does not provide any service you can't do for your self. BTW he has had two people steal his identity since he started his company.

Latest posts