AR-15 question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Johnson

Reaction score
I am in the market to buy an AR-15. I a currently looking at a DPMS A2 or Panther Lite. I was seriously considering a Bushmaster but the price of the DPMS has my attention $699.

First question. Does anybody have any first hand experience with DPMS AR-15s?

Second question. What are your guys opinions about DPMS vs. Bushmaster vs. Armalite vs. Rock River?

Thanks,

Jerry

You won't go wrong with the DPMS. I have a DPMS lower, and my AR-10 is built off a DPMS. I also have a Bushmaster and 3 Rock River lowers and have not had any fitment problems.

For what AR's are going for, $699 isn't bad. What setup is it?

AR's are an animal all to their own because for the normal average everyday Joe, if the stamps were not on the side of the lower, they would never know what 'brand' they were holding. They are all made to mainly the same identical specs so that they can be interchanged and work with any other brand also.

They are also addicting... :) Once you get one, you wil start modding it the way you would a vehicle. The first one I bought was a Bushy 20". Then I started toying with all the accessories, rails, optics, etc, etc. It was the only one of my AR's I have bought that came as a full gun. All the rest I bought the parts and put them together myself in the configuration and setup I wanted and liked. I have now bought a few 80% lowers and am building my own lowers with my brand to really personalize them... :)

Welcome to BRD...

Black Rifle Disease

AR-15 is the best rifle I've ever shot. But I've only shot it once because it didn't belong to me. Happy hunting though! :)

I am carrying a Bushmaster. I have it basically setup just like my M4. I mainly use it for home protection and when ever my local SWAT Team wants me to embarrass them (happens a lot, thank god they are all my friends).

Also check www.ar15.com

I have had an AR since the early 90's(preban) My experience as an armorer in the Army does come helpful. The parts are pretty much interchangable, most are what is called *GI Specs*, that means that it will inerchange with all other AR's. There is a platora of spare parts and upgrades out there. Get ammo while you can, you may wish to consider handloading.

Have a good one and welcome to the world of the mousegun.

Bob

I've had two of them.

A Colt Match Target H-Bar and a Bushmaster XM15. The Colt was a POS! It constantly jammed and bent bolts. I think this gun was $750 way back in the late 90s.

The Bushmaster was awesome. It never jammed and it was a lot more fun. It was a compact version with a collapsing stock. It felt better balanced than the Colt H-Bar. The Bushmaster was around $950 in the late 90s- early 2000s.

I used the same Harris bipod on both guns.

I had flirted with a Calico 9mm w/ 100 shot cylinder drum but it wasn't as cool as the Bushmaster XM15 and it was terribly off balance.

The most fun gun I ever owned was the Reminginton 870 12ga with the "Law Enforcement Pkg". I loved that gun. Had it pimped out with a folding stock and a short. smooth barrel.

If I remember correctly, Armalite was the original manufacturer of the AR15A1 and then Colt picked it up and brought it into the current AR15A2? After that many licenses were issued so that a slew of other manufacturers could produce it.

I've seem some really decent looking versions at Dicks and Gander Mountain.

Imo Bushmaster > All

Thanks for your inputs. I'm leaning toward the DPMS Panther Lite. The price seems to be to good to let go. This is just another reason why I love this site. Don P. Cool guns.

Thanks,

Jerry

My vote for an AR15 would go to Rock River, all the way! They won the DEA contract based on some unbelievable torture tests, the Rock River was the best performer of all the AR type rifles. I have a flat top entry carbine w/ EO Tech optic, it has functioned flawlessly. From what I know of DPMS they are a bit sloppy with the machine work, I would spend some more and get a RRA or Armalite, just my 2 cents.

My vote goes to Rock River as well for quality and reliability.

If you are buying based on price you must look at Del-Ton. I would put them at the top of the list on the low price market.

Latest posts