Anything to do in Charlotte, NC or Savannah GA?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
Wife and I are driving the Trac to Savannah, GA and then Charlotte, NC in a few weeks. Anyone have any suggestions for "do not miss" things to see or do?

Savannah is real nice downtown by the river. Lots of good places to eat, drink and good history. Take the carrage ride at night with a bottle of wine.

I lived in Savannah from 1996-2000 and have gone back to visit from time to time. Savannah is really a walking city. There are numerous old homes you can tour, walk through the many grassy squares, or take a trolley ride. Tybee Island is about 10 miles from downtown if you want to get some beach time in while there. The nightlife is good with nightly concerts in the Market area and bars along the River Street area...not to mention you can walk around downtown with drink in hand!!!! There is a minor baseball team in town that plays in a stadium built in the very early 1900's. There are numerous seafood restaurants all around town. If I were suggesting a 3 day trip:

Day1- do the trolley tour and walk around downtown and eat in the downtown area

Day2- take a drive out to Tybee, tour Fort Pulaski on the way, tour the Lighthouse, etc. and then just enjoy the beach. Just take a drive around the area and pickup dinner at one of the seafood restaurants on Thunderbolt Island (on the way to Tybee) or somewhere else away from downtown.

Day3-enjoy a little more of the downtown area.

Other things close by (within 30 minutes), Hilton Head Island, if you are a military person then Fort Stewart is close by, to name a couple of things.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
well charlotte has discovery place. its kinda cool i guess. more for a younger crowd. used to go there when i was a little kid. went last year for the body worlds exhibit. i may be for a younger crowd though

I used to go the Savannah every year around August with the GA Air National Guard.

Summer training for two weeks in full chemical warfare suits, gas mask all the CW crap.

I really grew to dislike Savannah in those days. We did get alot of down time and drinking time. I think Palmers? was a nice restaurant, there are alot of good eating places, also there is the Pirate House and we made it a tradition to stop by Sweats BBQ on I16? Before pulling into Savannah it's about an hour or so away if I remember right. Its been 12 years or so since I retired. River street is nice, but beware of some areas of Savannah, Crime is kinda high. Good Luck! Have Fun, Stay Safe!

Bud

If you are into very good food.

Try Elizabeth's on 37th Stret in Savannah.

One of the best overall restaurants we have visited.

Old house

Southern food.

Great atmosphere.

bill

Savannah has a number of haunted house tours also. The fiance has a condo just south of Savannah, so we are through there often. You can always go wait in line to eat at Paula Deen's restaurant: http://www.ladyandsons.com/ you might have to wait an hour or more, but the food is awesome.

Charlotte has 2 Quaker Steak & Lubes!

Downtown is a great place to bar-hop if you are into that kinda thing. My wife and I love to hang out there, its about 2 hours from our home, so we only get there a few times a year.

One thing I noticed when I was there last time, there are a whole lot of good looking single girls in that town. They seemed to travel in packs. (Not that I would notice)

1st day...take a trolley tour of the historic district. Once you pay for it you can hop on and off anytime that day you want to.

Other than the trolley tour I just have two places you need to eat. #1 Vinnie Van Go-Go's (the best pizza I've ever had in my life), but the place looks like a dump. #2 Tubby's Tank House on River Street--it has a second floor balcony view of the river where you can watch the boat's and ships come and go and I like the slightly sweet hush puppies.

We also went on a dolphin cruise.

There are other events at Lowe's Motor Speedway besides the NASCAR races. Check and see what's up there. There is also a nice golf course across the road from Lowe's. Nothing like walking through the infield and parking lots at a NASCAR race carrying a golf bag. "Playing through, playing through....". I've done it. :lol:

Also many of the race team shops are nearby and some offer tours.

Latest posts