Anyone use BowFlex style Dumbell Weights?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
Really interested in getting a set of weights that you can select the weight amount by dial or lever. Something with or without a small stand.

I'm a novice work out person. I used to wrestle in high school and I did a lot of weight training for that and Paintball scenario games (really helps!)

I HATED having to unscrew the end caps and change weights. I don't need a huge barbell setup. Just simple dumbell setup that is compact and space effient.

I have 3 sets of cheap dumbells that I got at Wal-Mart that you can buy individually. I have a pair of 10#, 15# and 20#. We have a Military channel here where they have some excellent exercise programs using the small weights in a progressive/regressive workout.

Start out using the 20# for 10 or 20 reps, then immediately switch to the 15# for another 10 or 20 reps, and finally immediately switch to the 10# for another 10-20 reps.

The principle is that when you stress the muscle, you need to keep moving it, so by reducing the weight and continuing, you can continue to work the muscle until it is stressed, and then lower the weight again and keep working the muscle. If 10 or 20 reps is too easy, just increase the reps until it's difficult to do the last one or two reps.

You can do all kinds of excises this way to develop arm, shoulder and chess muscles. You gain strength, endurance and muscle tone.

I couple that with going to the YMCA about 3 times a week to use the stationary bike for about 5 miles and I use their weight machines for my back, abs, and legs.

You might want to check on the local YMCA's. We have a great one here and it only cost $37 a month for a single person, and about $60 for a family. For that you get access to everything including a huge basketball gym, indoor olympic pool, sauna, weight room, aerobics room, and of course they have a lot of extra cost excercise classes like Zumba, Yoga, etc..(mostly for women)

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the BowFlex adjustable weight set paired with a bench. This is enough to complete a total body workout in your home. They are easy to change the weight and take up very little space. They are well built, I've owned mine for about 8 yrs with out any problems. Make sure you get the stand, it will save your back and is worth the little extra money.

I use mine for a change of pace from going to the gym.

Btw, I'm an exercise physiologist so feel free to ask any more question and I will try to help.

yea... what Lomey said lol

i used them for awhile loved the freedom of having all the weights in one to save space and knockout a quick workout if i couldnt make it to the gym...

i wish i never would have gotten rid of them...

My brother in law has them and loves them. He's had them for about 5 years. I've wanted to get some, but out of my price range and priorities right now.

Latest posts