Anyone use an Oil Extractor?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K Stokes

Reaction score
Thinking of asking Santa for a Pela 650 oil extractor for Christmas, does anyone have any experience with them? Somewhat concerned because their website says they won’t work in a 2000 to 2002 Explorer, but I have a 2003 Trac.

Thx,

Ken

I recommend against using them for simple oil changes. Leaves too much crap in the pan that gravity would normally flush out of the drain hole.

Good for situations where you can't get to the oil pan (inboard boat motors), but otherwise, an inferior way to change oil.

If you absolutely refuse to get under the vehicle to change the oil...take it to a local quickie place.

I want one. Great for tranny fluid, brake fluid, front differential, power steering fluid, etc.

Tom

Tom, Get one of these. It does all that and is cheaper and easier to use in tight spaces.

Dingo,

That tool is for bleeding brakes. That vacuum pump is good at pulling fluid out of stuff. For example, pump up the vacuum and suck out the old fluid out of the brake mastercylinder. Replace that fluid with new, clean stuff. Then break open the bleeder screw (I have speedbleeders on my vehicles) and pump until the fluid rins clear. Same with the Power Steering. Pump out the PS res. and fill with fresh fluid. Turn steering wheel lock to locak. Repeat until fluid looks bright red and smells fresh.

That little pump is too small for the job.

Tom

Thx for the varying responses:

Rich and Dino from what I've read they leave less then 1/2 a quart of oil in the pan; been changing my own oil for over 20 years, but if technology can speed up the process and make it a bit safer I’m willing to give it a shot, (as long as it works that is.)

BTW don’t some of the quickie places use extractors?

Again thx for the responses,

Ken

Tom, that little gun comes with an inline jar. I have used it for everything from bleeding brakes to partially draining coolant to changing the fluid in a rear end. If you put the hose on the exhaust side and flip the little jar upside-down, it also pumps fluid OUT.

I have never been to an oil change facility that uses extracters to remove the old oil. If I did come across one, I would insist that they not use that method on my vehicles for oil extraction. As said by others, it leaves sediments at the bottom of the oil pan that are best removed by removing the "drain" plug and letting gravity do it's thing....

If you've been changing oil for 20 years, you should already be pretty quick. I can change the oil in my ST in 30min, which includes letting it sit for 15min to make sure it drains all the way. Just changed the oil in my girlfriend's car the other day (at her dad's request...earning some points there) and it didn't take 20min. I'll take the extra few minutes for the added knowledge that I'm not half-assing it.

Latest posts