Anyone purchased through AutoTrader?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
Got an opportunity to purchase a very nice motorcycle advertised on Craig'sList. The deal is very good, but the whole thing smells a little fishy. What do you guys think? Any advice? Should I run away, or is there a safe way of completing this transaction?

Here is the last E-mail:

I have the bike sealed at DAS terminal in Atlanta, GA ready to be shipped out will take 4-5 days through DAS and it will be free,my previous buyer(his loan did not get approved)already paid for it and DAS didnt want to refund him the shipping fee.

I cannot meet face2face I have a new job in Tucson, AZ I would like to use Autotrader Vehicle Purchase to take care of this deal, smooth and safe. Let me know if you have any other questions, hope i didnt miss anything.

Here is how it works if you have never used Autotrader.

You send me your full name and your shipping address so I can initiate the transaction.Autotrader contacts you with further details regarding the payment and shipping process.You submit the payment to Autotrader, Autotrader confirms the payment and asks me to release the shipment.I ship the bike which should be at your door within 5 business days.You have a 3 days inspection period before you confirm the deal and Autotrader forwards the payment to me or you cancel the deal and you get your money back and return the bike free of charge.

Basicly Autotrader holds your money safe until you confirm that the bike is what you have been expected and you want to buy it. It is not a sight unseen deal.

On the other hand I can ship the bike knowing Autotrader has your money and you won't dissapear with my bike. We are both covered.Sorry for the long emails I have tried to touch all bases.

Last edited by a moderator:
[/quote]Offer to meeet this person face to face in Tucson, AZ and have the vehicle shipped from Atlanta to Tucson where you will trailer it home from there. Say you have family in San Diego, CA and are visiting them in a couple weeks.

Watch him squirm out of it with some cheezy excuse.

Tom

Sounds exactly like a deal TJR posted about a few days ago. Respond like Tom said and see what he says...

ANY "out of state" transaction involving "Craigslist" is a "red flag".

Even "they" warn you by saying "AVOID SCAMS AND FRAUD BY DEALING LOCALLY!" on top of the item page highlighted in red.

The above advice from Caymen and Les should be followed.

Good Luck & Best Wishes.

If it doesn't feel right. there is something wrong.

I agree with everyone else on this one.

NEVER buy something, give someone your personal info

etc, if the item is located at x and the seller is located at y

and you use z to send your money to....

Move on and find someone local,

your patience will be rewarded.

Yep, it smells like a scam. Just got an autotrader invoice asking me to use moneygram.com to send a payment to the agent in Atlanta. Bike will be shipped upon confirmation of money transfer.

I have started the Autotrader process!

Autotrader have sent you a separate email confirmation with the payment instructions.

If you haven't received it please check your Junk, Bulk or Spam email folder because this is a very secured email and your email server may reject it.

Because completing the payment please move the Autotrader email in Inbox.

Now go to a MoneyGram location and send the deposit on the Autotrader Agent name and address.

You need to fill out the form to send money to a person not to a business.!

Payment address (Autotrader Agent name and address):

First name: Adam;

Last name: Holbrook;

Address: 5775 Peachtree Dunwoody Road;

City: Atlanta;

State: Georgia;

Zip: 30342;

Now I'll wait your reply with the payment confirmation and please let me know if you have received the Autotrader confirmation!

After you will send the payment please fax the Reference Number and the payment details from MoneyGram to the Autotrader center at: +1 (404) 601-9751 or +1 (770) 828-0698.

Best regards!

Robert Defilante Jr.

[email protected]

Funny, the website for the payment is still under construction...

Neither fax number can be found.

The address is for Autotrader.com, but they're in Suite A-200.

autotraderpayments.com is registered to a private owner.

There are 4 Holbrooks in the country that work for AutoTrader, and none are Adam.

The fact that he specified to use the form for a person and not a company seals the deal.

This is a classic Craigslist scam. Never give someone money for a vehicle without actually touching the vehicle first and taking it with you when you leave.

Latest posts