Anyone own an SKS?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill, it's absolutely a quality firearm. High quality steel, heavy duty parts, all machined. I think the only stamped part on the entire rifle is the lever attached to the receiver action cover.

It's a very well conceived design with few drawbacks, particularly from a simplicity/ease of maintenance perspective.

It has three flaws:

1) Difficulty of mounting optics.

2) capacity limitation due to lack of detachable magazine. The latter feature is not much of an issue if using ammo on stripper clips. The stripper clips actually load faster than a magazine change in an AK or AR.

And the killer:

3) It's more difficult/expensive to make than an AK47.

Some might argue that the rear iron sight is too small (typical of iron rifle sights in the first half of the 20th century). But, for a 250 yard rifle shooting at human-sized targets, they work well enough.

If the AK47 wasn't so much easier/cheaper to manufacture, I think the SKS would have gone on to be one of the most ubiquitous combat rifles of all time.

That and the AK-47 was designed to go fully auto.

1) Difficulty of mounting optics.

Sportsman's Guide sells the SKS Value Pack that, for about $60.00, comes with a scope, all the parts needed to mount the scope, stripper clips, and a manual.

2) capacity limitation due to lack of detachable magazine. The latter feature is not much of an issue if using ammo on stripper clips. The stripper clips actually load faster than a magazine change in an AK or AR.

You can convert it to use an AK magazine. I have seen SKS magazines, but not sure how well they work and what type of work you have to do to make them work.

3) It's more difficult/expensive to make than an AK47.

Yes it is, but somehow AK-47's sell for substantially more than SKS's do. My next gun I want to get is an AK. I like the looks of AR-15's, but I think the AK-47 have more class.

I just love the looks of my SKS. It shoots very nice. I have a Mosin-Nagant, and SKS, now I just need an AK-47 to add to the collection.

Tom

Fellas, don't kid yourself about the receiver cover-mounted optics for an SKS. It's a very iffy solution because the cover is not solidly attached to the action of the rifle. It's designed to move, and any solution to that problem is marginal.

The most reliable way to add optics to an SKS is to tap the side of the receiver and add a solidly screwed in, unmovable side mount. Again, not something the original design allowed for, and hence it's a weakness of the weapon.

Tom, as for full auto in an assault rifle, that has been shown to be a tactical failure in modern infantry combat. Armies have downplayed full auto for the individual infantryman, and still continue to provide squad light machine guns like the SAW and M-60.

Tom, as for full auto in an assault rifle, that has been shown to be a tactical failure in modern infantry combat. Armies have downplayed full auto for the individual infantryman, and still continue to provide squad light machine guns like the SAW and M-60.

I completely agree, but that was the SKS's downfall. Simonov finished the SKS and that was it. Kalashnikov took it one step further and made it cheaper, but select fire.

Either way, both are darn fine weapons that every gun owner should have.

Tom

Latest posts