Anyone own an SKS?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
Recently picked up an SKS. I have been wanting something new and different for a while. I finally decided to take the plunge. Anyone have one? I am looking for information about it, but not finding out what I want to know.

Tom

Hi Tom ! I see there's been another person hooked on the SKS. Check out this web-site. It should tell you everything you need to know. If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one I bought years ago at a gun-show when they were selling for less than $100. Later I converted it with a kit. Composite stock and mini-scope. Made it heavy.

I'll second surplusrifle.com. I use them for about everything i've got.

I LOVE my M59/66 Yugo SKS. Between it and my Romy AK I can't keep x39 ammo in as big of stock as I'd like.

I used to have a chinese sks. I brought it back from 'Nam, as a war trophy. Like a dummy, I sold it. It was a sweet shooting gun. It had actually been in battle but was complete and all the serial #s matched.

Mine is a Norinco SKS. Not sure if it is a pre or post ban rifle. It came with a bayonet, but not sure if it is legal.

Tom

Tom, mine had the Ice Pick bayonet. Never had anyone tell me it was ilegal.

Mine has the blade. From research, Bush senior enacted an Assault Weapons Ban in 1989 that essentially made bayonets illegal in gins that were imported after that time. If you took a post ban SKS and installed a bayonet on it, your were breaking the law. Of course, I love the way a bayonet looks like on the rifle. So I really hate to remove it "to be safe". From other research I have done, there is no way to prove whether it is a pre or post ban gun. Only the ATF knows for sure. They will not give you the information if you ask for it. They will only get it if they need to nail you on it.

Of course, many of the post ban SKS's have no bayonet lug on it, but there are people that claim that they recieved post ban SKS's with a bayonet lug, but no bayonet.

Tom

Prices at gun shows are higher than they shoud be. Mosin-Nagant's sell like hotcakes at a gun show for $150.00. Gun shops sell them for $89.00.

The SKS at gun shops are selling for $350.00, at gun shows they are going for $400.00 and above.

Tom

p.s. For the uninformed, the "Gunshow Loophole" doesn't exist and has nothing to do with the higher prices at gun shows. At gun shows, the culprit is gun overload. So many guns at one place. You know, like going on spring break and going through "hottie overload". ;)

I have a Yugo. A friend sold it to me for a song. It was never fired. Took 2 days to de-cosmo the sucker, but it's accurate!

[deleted unnecessary info]

Your SKS is fine, do NOT butcher it up, please. :D

I have a Yugoslavian 59, which was the version before they added the grenade launcher. It's one of my favorite rifles. If the AK47 wasn't so much easier/cheaper to manufacture, I think the SKS would have gone on to be one of the most ubiquitous combat rifles of all time.

Rich do you find the SKS to be a quality firearm? or just a poorly made mass produced piece of pine stock and crudely machined metal?

I think it's a quality firearm. It requires you to practically stand on the trigger guard to reassemble. Compared to the AR15 which rattles due to looseness when you pick it up.

Great drill weapon!

Latest posts