Anyone on here have a Ruger LCP .380?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred

Reaction score
I'm thinking I'd like to get one. If you have one, would you recommend? Thanks! :D

I have one and really like it. I bought mine last year and haven't had any issues with it. There is a recent recall on them though. They have a saftey issue...they have had several discharge when a round is in the chamber and the firearm is dropped.

I am amazed that they are doing a recall for this, I was always taught that any firearm could discharge when dropped with a round chamberd. I guess common sense doesn't play a part in this.

Ruger is doing the recall work for free and adding a free clip for your troubles.

Doug

Two guys at work have them for CC. I wanted one but held one and it was too small for me.

I ended up with a Firestorm .380 (Made by Bersa). Small enough to hide, but big enough to feel in control.

One guy said the Ruger LCP is designed for 500 rounds before it is "worn out".

Tom

Thanks all. I haven't held one yet, but I was wondering if it might be a little small. I think that's what I want though. I guess I need to go hold them both.

You might check around where you live. Here we have a place called "The Bullet Trap". They carry several guns and rifles which you can shoot in their facility. This way you get to not only see how it feels, but how it feels to shoot it before you decide to go out and buy one.

One guy said the Ruger LCP is designed for 500 rounds before it is "worn out".

Not a chance. It's built just a bit heavier than the P3AT, and is nearly the exact same design. The P3AT has a life expectancy of about 6000 rounds.

Snug, all current production and imported guns since the early nineties have whats called a 'drop safety' installed. This is a law, not a choice. The drop safety blocks the firing pin from any impact. As you pull the trigger the safety moves out of the way so the pin can be struck and the gun fired.

Not a chance. It's built just a bit heavier than the P3AT, and is nearly the exact same design. The P3AT has a life expectancy of about 6000 rounds.

I am just passing the information I got from a guy that owns an Ruger LCP .380 and has contacted Ruger about it.. Maybe he lied to me.

The Kel-Tec is garbage compared to the LCP.

Caymen has a GUN:eek:

Caymen has many guns.

Tom

A local store just told me that if I want to order a LCP, I'd have to get on the waiting list. I'd be #47. Sheesh!

1'm curious as to why you made this statement?

Pick up a Ruger LCP. Feel it in your hands. Pick up the Kel-Tec and put it in your hands.

The feel in your hands, the quality of the gun, the chinsey plastic, etc. on the Kel-Tec is enough for you to figure it out.

The Kel-Tec feels like a Toyota dashboard. Chinsey and flimsey.

Tom

The Ruger LCP is a high quality gun perfect for Concealed Carry. The Kel-Tec is a cheap poorly made handgun that is better left on the shelf.

Tom

The Ruger LCP is a high quality gun perfect for Concealed Carry. The Kel-Tec is a cheap poorly made handgun that is better left on the shelf.

Tom, do you realize that the LCP is about 98% identical to the Kel Tec? Kel Tec didn't patent the design, and Ruger borrowed just about everything to make the LCP, with just a couple of minor tweaks. The LCP has a nicer exterior fit and finish, but it's basically the same gun. If I showed you exploded parts diagrams of both that didn't detail the slight differences in the grip and slide external shape, you'd have a hard time figuring out which is which.

I carry a "Gen 1" model that I had to "fluff and buff" to make reliable. It's gone at least 500 rounds since without a hiccup. One of my range buddies has a "Gen 2" model. His has probably gone about 750 rounds at this point, without a single failure. Pretty impressive.

I like the LCP a lot for the extra fit and finish. But don't assume the P3AT is not a good gun just because you handled one in a gun shop and it didn't feel as refined as the LCP. The LCP is worth the $50 premium over the Kel Tec. But not more than that.