Anyone Know of a Free Anti-Virus/Firewall Package for 64-Bit Vista?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelson Atwell

Reaction score
A friend of mine is wanting something to replace Norton Internet Security, since she doesn't want to pay to continue it on her new computer..

Have been using AVG Free version for years and no viruses. Got viruses with both Norton and McAffee. They have a Vista version also. Just don't get the Toolbar with it. It will slow down the Internet, but works fine and still monitors the sites online (also blocks malicious cookies and such while online) while surfing without the toolbar. I've just been using the Windows Firewall since going to AVG. No problems ever there also. ;)

nelson, your in the military right? Norton is free to military.. here at dover its on the base drive to download. ask your computer people on base.. here is a link to more free a/v programs for military

http://www.military4life.com/download.html

you have to download from an onbase computer..

if you need me to i can upload the file to senduit.co and e-mail you the link.. norton for vista is 32 meg zipped..

troy

Before I retired from the USN in '06, both Norton and McAfee were available for free download, as long as you had a valid DoD PKI Certificate on your computer. I was even able to download them at home after installing my certificate. Alas, the certificate expired after I left the service, so I can't access that perk anymore.

But, as an employee of the University of Illinois, I can get McAfee for free here. Prior to working here, I was using AVG Free and it worked great. I'm now using McAfee, and it's working well so far. I've used both applications on XP and Vista now with no problems.

This person that needs the software is not military (well, actually, she is a secretary for the Polish Army, but that doesn't help her).

Thanks for the advice. I will see whatt the problem is with AVG, because she said it won't work. It gives her an error saying it is not compatible with 64-bit Vista.

AVG has different versions of their software for differen Windows OSes. They don't support Win2k server or any of the 64-bit OSes. The issue is that they need to develop kernel level drivers for each OS. I guess they don't consider 64-bit a viable market to target.

TJR

Latest posts