Anyone here re-geared their ST? Likes? Dislikes? Advice?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris M 2

Reaction score
Anyway, I'm hoping to have mine done once I get the stalling issue worked out. Mine has the 3.73 gear ratio, and is a slow dog from a dead stop. :(

Don't know whether to go with the other standard ST ratio (4.10) or with something higher... I think Todd Z. recommended 4.56 posi to someone in another post.

Anyone have this done, and if so, what was your experience? Were you glad or was it not worth it in your opinion? Were there unintended side effects? Are there issues/pitfalls to watch out for?

I appreciate any info at all.

I have had two ST's. One with the 3.73 and one with the 4.10 axle and there saw not much difference in acceleration or in gas mileage. I'm sure the 4.56 axle would be better for accelleration, but you gas mileage will suffer a bigger hit.

If you wanted to go with the 4.10, there would be plenty of them around and some ST owner might be willing to swap rear differentials with you to get the 3.73 and the slightly better gas mileage?? If you go with something like a 4;56, it will be a lot mor expensive since you would have to buy it and not get the benefit of useing your old 3.73 as a trade-in.

...Rich

If your a rockcrawler the 4.56s are great, this is not a DIY project, setting up gears is a science, plan on spending 600/700 Bux for little gain.

Your driving a lead sled, it will never be quik off the line JMO

Tires: 235/60/16

I'm not looking for a racing truck... I'm just sick of getting passed by minivans, Dodge Neons, etc. when leaving an intersection. I want to be able to keep up with the regular flow of traffic without having to press the accelerator to the floor. My old S-10 was fairly zippy off the line (compared to my ST) and I miss that.

I was in SW Virginia/SE Kentucky this past weekend, and was appalled at the lack of torque when trying to get up some of those mountain roads... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my 3.73:1 changed to 4.10:1. I did this to compensate for larger tires (265/65-17). The difference between the stock tires and the new is about 5.5%. The difference between the 3.73:1 and the 4.10:1 is about 9%. So the gearing change "over shot" the tire change by about 4.5%. This is a bit more raise in engine RPM at a given speed than needed to compensate for the tires (at least, by the math), but the new tires and rims weigh almost twice what the originals did and, for acceleration, this needs to be compensated for as well.

The biggest difference is pulling typical freeway hills (4 or 5%). I can now stay in overdrive and remain at the same speed, or accelerate if I want with no down-shifting.

With the larger tires and without the gear change, the engine RPMs were below the engine power band and I always had to cause a down shift to remain at a steady speed. The shifting costs in mileage.

As for mileage, it seems to vary, but perhaps a decrease by about 0.5 MPG.

Pitfalls - as Bill notes, this is not a do-it-yourself unless you have dome this before and were successful. If you have someone else do this, be sure to get an agreement in writing that the warranty includes no differential noise with the new gears (also, as noted by Bill - proper gear setup is a science). Oh and that estimate is per differential plus about $100.00 more for the front, which has to be removed.

All in all, a good change for me.

Edit: Just read your tire size - the 4.10:1 will be plenty (IMO). If not, add a nitrous system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill - I had both differentials and all brakes done at the same time - I couldn't accelerate or decelerate well at all. It was a "delicate" time.

Easiest way should be to find a wrecked Trac in the junkyard and get the rear axle out if it is a 4.10. Then just swap axles.

Thanks for the advice Dreman...

Is removing/installing that axle something I can do myself, provided I have the right equipment?

I would ~think~ that the 4.10 or 4.56 might actually help mileage a little in town if you do a lot of stop and go due to being able to get the Trac up to speed easier. Common sense dictates that highway mileage would suffer a bit as long as the tire size was still in line with factory spes though.

I'm not looking for a racing truck... I'm just sick of getting passed by minivans, Dodge Neons, etc. when leaving an intersection. I want to be able to keep up with the regular flow of traffic without having to press the accelerator to the floor. My old S-10 was fairly zippy off the line (compared to my ST) and I miss that.

You need to quit driving like a pansy. Who cares if you spend 10.00 to beat the neon to next light, put your foot in it, it'll get you there. :)

Serious note -- check the weight on the ST and compare that to your S-10.

You bought a Ford instead of Chevy Junk. The ST is not very light.

Hmm, Cruzrtwdgt... the local po-po here have never accused me of driving like a pansy... ;)

Like I said earlier in the post, I'm not looking for a racing truck... nor am I looking to race anyone. I just want to keep up with the general flow of traffic without having to stomp the accelerator... just want a lil' mo' zip on it, that's all. :p

I appreciate your view Ford vs. Chevy... I think you get some good vehicles, some bad regardless... my S-10 lasted 12 years with no major problems. I replaced an alternator and did the usual maints (tires, oil, etc.). It was a good little truck.

Hoping for the same longevity with this one. So far I've had to sink about $1200 into it just to keep it running and have had it less than a year. However, I'm hopeful that everything will level off soon... :)

Latest posts