Anyone here good at accounting?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Castineira

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here could give me a hand on an accounting problem that I have due tomorrow. If anyone feels they could help me in figuring out an Earnings Per Share ratio and a Diluted Earnings Per Share with given information reply with your e-mail and I'll shoot you an e-mail so I don't put everyone to sleep with the problem.

THANKS -- CHRIS

Chris,

I am sure there are several that would enjoy a try at it. As I would as well...

Post the givens here and let us give it a try...

Being that you asked for it, lol Good luck....:):D:)

Financial Position Information for June 30, 2004

Long-Term Debt

Notes Payable, 10% ........................................................................$1,000,000

7% Convertable Bonds Payable...........................................................5,000,000

10% Bonds Payable...........................................................................6,000,000

Total Long Term Debt .................................................................12,000,000

Shareholder's Equity

Perfered Stock, 8.5% cumulative, $50 par value, 100,000

authorized, 25,000 shares issued and outstanding ........................$1,250,000

Common Stock, $1 par, 10,000,000 shares authorized,

1,000,000 shares issued and outstanding.......................................1,000,000

Additional Paid-in Capital..................................................................4,000,000

Retained Earings..............................................................................6,000,000

Total Shareholders; Equity..........................................................$12,500,000

The Following Transactions have also occured

1) Options were granted in 2002 to purchase 100,000 shares at $15 per share. Although no options were exercised during 2004, the average price per common share during fiscal year 2004 was $20 per share.

2) Each bond was issued at face value. The 7% convertable debenture will convert into common stock at 50 shares per $1,000 bond. It is exercisable after 5 year and was issued in 2003.

3) The 8,5% perfered stock was issued in 2002

4) There are no dividends in arrears; hoowever, preferred dividends were not declared in fiscal year 2004

5) The 1,000,000 shares of common stock were outstanding for the entire 2004 fiscal year.

6) Net income for fiscal year 2004 was $1,500,000, and the average income tax rate is 40%.

Find the Basic earnings per share and the diluted earnings per share for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2004

Last edited by a moderator:
This kind of problem could get me interested in taking accounting. Then again I remember my college girlfriend crying after accounting midterms over problems like these. Then again accountants make a very good living after going through pain like this.

I assume you calculate the interest owed on the bonds and subtract it from the net income and then subtract 40% for income tax.

Divide this adjusted income by total issued shares to get earnings per share.

Diluted earnings are calculated by dividing adjusted income by total issued shares+total options outstanding+preferred stock not issued.

That is my first quick look at it. I could forward this to my accountant branch of the family and they would probably laugh and wonder what their monkey relative on the left coast is smoking.

My fiance is an accountant, she took a look at it and its a lot of work but she tried to do what she could. Its been awhile so shes just going off memory and some examples she has so it may not be entirely accurate. If you go by this and use what you know, it may work out for you. Hope this helps!

BASIC EPS:

Net income, minus prefered dividends, divided by weighted average shares outstanding.

Net Income: (#6) is 1,500,000

Preferred Dividends: (#4) There are no dividends in arrears, and none declared. 0

Weighted Average Shares Outstanding: (#5) 1,000,000 (outstanding for the entire year, so none are weighted)

1,500,000 - 0 / 1,000,000 = 15

Diluted EPS:

Basic EPS, minus impact of convertibles, minus impact of options warrants or other securities diluted.

Impact of Convertibles:

Net Income: 1,500,000 plus adjustment for interest (5,000,000*7%=350,000 * 40% tax rate (#6)=140,000), so 350k-140k=210,000

so 1.5mil plus 210k = 1,710,000

1,710,000/ weighted average shares (1,000,000-5,000 debenture bonds) =995k

Impact of Convertibles: 1.72

SO FAR, Diluted EPS is 15-1.72=13.28

Options:

(#1) Stock options and warrants outstanding (whether or not presently exercisable) are included in the diluted eps unless they are antidilutive.

Treasury stock method- Shares 100k * $15 = 1,500,000

1.5mil/$20 = 75k

100k shares - 75k shares = 25k shares

average common shares outstanding 1 mil

so 1 mil plus 25k = 1,025,000

Net Income 1.5mil/1,025,000 = 1.46

So DIluted EPS = 13.28- 1.46 = 11.82

Holy smokes Nocturnal STA, thanks man i really appreciate this, I came up with the sme thing for EPS, but was getting thrown off by the diluted EPS but now that I see it it makes perfect sence, ofcourse. So anyway this gets me thinking, I have 5 home works left and I've been doing poorly on them all, If your fiance wants to earn a tank of gas, say 10 bucks a problem( 50 bucks) I can write them up and she can chop away at them, that would be GREAT.

Let me know on here then we can shoot e-mails if she's up for it.

CHRIS

She said she will do it but can not guarantee thay will all be right, any extra cash will work unless they are wrong. She is kinda been outta school for a while, but did graduate Suma Cum laude with a BBA.

Send me an email and she can start on them.

Wow Doug,

Not only does she got the looks, but the brains to go along with them......You hit the Goldmine dude......don't let this one get away. :)

I wish the two of you all the best.

Great, this is the best news I've gotten in a while, I'll write up all the problems and send them out after work, there is one due next week(possibly tuesday), but other than that there is plently of time for her to do them. I don't know how you wanna work this out money wise, I'm good for the money and won't screw you, I hate to send 10 buck each time but if thats what it takes, of a lump sum kind of deal if she can get them done soon if she isn;t busy. Let me know what you think

CHRIS

Latest posts