Anyone Have Experience with a Jeep Liberty?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judd Quarles

Reaction score
Just wondering what you think of them and how they perform. There are a lot of new 2006 models still on the lots around my area, and the deals are excellent. I looked at them back in 2002 when they first came out, and then a Sport model was running around $21,000 on sale. I now see the rebates so high that the loaded Limited models can be bought for around $20,000 or slightly less.

I bought an 03 limited for my wife. She now has 80,000 miles on it. Its been a great car and fun to drive. Has limited space behind the rear seat. Other than that we love the car. Not nearly as quiet or smooth as our new 07 ST though.

Enjoy and Merry Christmas to you.....

fred

My wife recently traded her '02 Limited 4x4 Liberty with every available factory option. It had 85,000 absolutely trouble-free miles on it and looked brand new, inside and out. I had replaced the goodcrap tires on it at 45,000 miles with Michelins, and had new pads installed on the front brakes, and put a battery in it last fall for the hell of it.

Although she loved the Liberty, she had gotten a new job last year that required 120 miles of commuting each day, and I wanted her to have something newer and more reliable. She picked an Outback LL Bean Subaru because it was a much smoother ride and got five MPG better, otherwise she would have gotten another Liberty.

We drove the jeep around the upper peninsula of Michigan (1400 mile trip) and despite my 6'-3" body, I was fairly comfortable, but it wasn't great for long trips with the rough ride. Around town, it was fine.

Bottom line: it was very reliable and trouble-free.

Wife still has her 03 Limited with 42k on it, bought it new and no trouble so far. Couple of recalls on the front ball joints but I am sure they are fixed in the '06's.

Its a great vehicle for her, kind of a girl car from what I hear. Around town its ok comfort wise, I am 6'4" 280lbs. Longer trips it gets a bit tight. Although, not sure what your situation is family wise, I have an 11 y o with a newborn, and with car seats, strollers, diaper bags and possible luggage or groceries, its small. I know there are other vehicles out there that have more space in the second row and trunk area like Ford Escape and Freestyles, among other non Ford models.

But if the deal is right, go for it.

My wife had a 4X4 Limited as her company car for two years. We drove it up and down Florida, and all around town. It was a good vehicle. Here are a few observations:

PRO: Ridiculously manuverable- you can basically park it sideways. Fun, truck-like ride. Great visibility. Good acceleration. Decent gas mileage for a 4X4. (Better than my ST, anyway.)

CON: Seats are firm, and bottom cushion is short. On long rides, they kill you. Not much storage space in the vehicle. Glove compartment is tiny, and center console is too. Cargo area is also a little skimpy, but if you don't mind obscuring the back window you can fit a decent amount of stuff in there. If you're looking for a car-like ride, this isn't it. Like I said in the "PRO" section, I actually like the truck-like ride, but if you're looking for comfortable, cushy, etc., look elsewhere.

Thanks for the replies.

I am thinking about seeing how much I could sell the Trac for and if it is close to what the Liberty would cost, I will probably get one. Most of the dealers around here are offering about $7500 off on the 06 plus I have a certificate from Chrysler for an additional $1000. It would just be too good of a deal to pass up, and now that I will not be commuting anymore, I would be able to take better care of a new vehicle and keep it like new.

Room wise, it would not be a big deal for me because, like the Trac, it would be mainly for me personally. We have another vehicle. The maneuverable part would be a BIG plus, as I often have to make several moves in the Trac just to get it in or out of a normally sized parking space.

Yeah, very easy to maneuver! Paralell parking is a breeze, or just pull straight in!

Not too bad offroad either. Get the full time/part time 4wd box-- costs a bit more but worth it!

Only gripe is that oil filter is a pain to reach if you have the HD cooling option because the radiator is bigger and the shroud sticks out farther.

The only thing I've heard is they get lousey gas mileage. That's from a guy I work with that his son told him.

My wife consistently got 19.5 MPG on her Liberty. This was 80% highway and 20% city driving on her '02 with 85,000 miles.

Not great by any means. Better than my '03 Sport Trac did, however.

She was burning 3 - 4 tanks of gas a week. At $3.00 a gallon, it was starting to suck.

Her new Outback wagon is getting 23.5 MPG pretty consistently. She's had it 6 weeks (we just made the first payment) and it already has 5,100 miles on it!

I had gotten one for a loaner while my wifes Explorer was getting fixed.

Not a bad vehicle but too small and light for our liking. Stiff ride due to size and the fact that it is a Jeep.

For what it was, it wasn't a bad ride, just not what were are used to.

Definitely with the rebates, I would get the Limited. In fact, I have found a "preowned" one that might be great. Fully loaded 4x4 with leather interior. This is the best part. It has 261 miles on it. Some guy bought it, drove it for about a week, came back to the dealer saying it was too small and traded it for a Durango. It is being offered for $17,990.

I still have to see about selling the Trac, but there are a lot of 06 Libertys left around my area.