Anyone have a Thunderbird SC before?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James FreemanJr

Reaction score
Roommate just picked up a pretty nice looking 1994 Silver Thunderbird SC for $1,500 as a beater car not knowing anything about it and we went to pick it up today and all I gotta say is GOD DAMN! that thing is a beast. I believe he got a hell of a deal the thing was garage kept by a mother (it was her sons car and he moved over seas in 1996 and didn't take it with him) and she put an ad in the paper for it. Just wondering if anyone knew anything about it. We are gonna start looking for parts soon. It has a 5spd, 3" borla dual exhaust, bored out cats (which we are gonna replace) and upgraded spark plugs/wires. Gonna be searching for a good intake, pulleys, headers and some other stuff.

There is a huge after market for the car. I previously owned a 3.8 vortech supercharged mustang and was really big into the v6 community. I know some the sc's had built bottom ends, not sure which ones off hand though. They have replacement roots blowers, pulleys, heads, cams, stroker kits etc. I almost bought a 4.3 stroker before I sold my car. I cant think of the company that has a huge following in the sc community. I think the company name is magnum. If not it starts with a M. Go to v6power.net and they have huge forum for ford v6's and they all are very knowledgeable.

Here is mine: 1990 35th Anniversary edition 5 speed... Supposedly 1 of 147 made that way (5 speed). I had an '89 for a while as well. I am in the process of restoring it, so the ground effects are off the side and the rear bumper needs some TLC... Check out the Super Coupe Club of America. Tehy will help you out with whatever you need. According to production numbers, that 94 5 speed is one of 722 built. Do a search for Spinning Wheels SC and Super Coupe Performance. Those are good places to start your search for parts. And yes, it is Magnum Powers that does some mods to them. All SC's have special bottom ends in them to stand up to the supercharger. 94-95 birds had a better design in the motor that helped keep the head gaskets from popping like the earlier birds. The head gaskets tend to be the weak link..

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I use to love those Thunderbird SCs. When Ford was making those I was in college and couldn't dream of affording one at the time. I wish I could run across a deal like that, post pics of it if/when you can.

I still have the SC I bought new in June of 89. Has about 83k on it now. It has seen very little winter driving. Its Bright Red with Titanium (silver) cloth interior, 5-speed. Mods include a Flowmaster cat-back, K&N filter, B&W shifter, 190LPH fuel pump, new Tokico shocks and Dunlop tires. The car gets high 20's mpg on the hiugway, rides great and goes like stink. Not much will hang with it between 50 and 120 mph. Too heavy to be a drag car but that's why I also have a 99 Cobra and am restoring a 70 Mach 1 428CJ 4-speed. I second the SCCOA website. Great source for help and info.

I had a '77 T-Bird...whatta Tank! That beast was indestructable. I beat the crap out of it. We called it the Thunderboat, the Hate Tank, Thunderbeast....ahh my first car:wub:

didnt have an SC but I had a 91 Cougar with the 302. Had heads, headers, intake, exhaust, gears and a couple other goodies. It moved pretty damb quick for such a heavy car. Cant beat my Saturn ION Redline, but it was a blast to drive. Go to www.tccoa.com and check out the things there. There is no better Cougar/THunderbird websight, and the guys there are great.