Anyone from LA (Katrina)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Toledano

Reaction score
Just wondering how many people were effected by the storm. I am from N.O. Hope anyone who lived there is safe. Anyone else near me? I live in River Ridge.

I have relatives that live in St Bernard. Their houses had water up to the roof lines liks so many of the houses we've seen on TV. Not sure if any of the water has drained yet as I've heard they are 2 feet above sea level. They were talking about needing to breach a levee to allow the water to drain.

Fortunately, my family listened to the warnings and moved up by Alexandria and are staying with family.

What a mess. Hopefully all is as good as can be expected with you and your family.

Last edited by a moderator:
Willie B, I am glad you are safe and hopefully all your family as well. My family live in Houston and surrounding areas. My sis was on the road this morning and saw mass convoy of military units heading for N. O. More help is on the way.

Bless all you folks in L. A.

Hello,

My family just last night recieved word that my Aunt os alive, scared of looting in the area but alive. She has minimal food and water. She lives in Slidell. What a very trying week waiting for word. God Bless all affected. Marsha

My aunt and 3 cousins live in Marrero (NO suburb). We haven't been able to contact them. Do you know if the flooding was there?

Thank you,

LL

I'm from Destrehan, about 15-20 minutes southwest of New Orleans. My family is well in health and great in spirits. My home and my grandparents' home is fine. However, my aunt and uncle live in Kenner, and we believe their home has been flooded.

Reports from Destrehan are that they lost power at about 4am Monday throughout the town. However, they still have running water and nowhere in Destrehan faced flooding (except for a small portion - very small). Even wind damage was rare. The Mississippi runs between Destrehan and Luling, so we were expecting a lot of damage simply from the river. But God was watching over us and we are truly blessed to have made it out of this one without any loss in family or friends, and property damage.

Lines, both cellular (Cingular) and landlines (Cox), are down at the moment, but I got through today on my brother's Nextel and from what I hear, any landline on Bellsouth is still working. I sure hope no one else has family there, but if they do, I sure hope they made it through as well as my family did. It's a pure relief that we are all fine. Now we just need to get the rest of New Orleans rebuilt and back to normal operation.

(If anyone does have family or friends in this area and has any questions, please feel free to drop me a line. I'll try to get you any information I can.)

I live in Ponchatoula, about 50 miles north of New Orleans. We got power back yesterday. Gas is a problem.....food is a problem. My employer, Entergy, has done an outstanding job of looking after the employes. The power plant (nuclear) where I work has about 120 families without homes. The company is helping them by providing trailers and all kinds of other help. Never before have I been so proud to work for a company. :D

km5er. That is awesome that Entergy is taking care of you.

I have friends from Ponchatoula and they don't know the situation there. Can you shed some light for me? Also, any idea when Entergy will get power back up? I was told to expect power 9August, but that Entergy's plant was ruined so it would have to be rebuilt??? Is that fact?

We have plunty of generation power even without the nuke plant. In fact some of our plants have had to downpower due to the lack of demand and grid voltage concerns. When they repair more and more lines there will be more and more places to send the power and the grid will get larger so that more plants can come online. So again.....we can generate plunty of power....we just need a grid to sent it out on. From last report we lost over a millon customers and have restored half that number. Things get better each day. I am on the generation side so can not really offer any answers to the distribution side....

In regards to Ponchatoula....power is on in much of the area. Gas stations are open but there are lines. Many food places are open but have limited menus. (In fact Wendys on Highway 22 ws open but there was no musturd, ketchup and stuff like that. Plunty of ICE for the cold drinks!!!! Some of the non-fast food places are open today and the banks and associated ATMS are open. Except AMSOUTH - a crappy bank. Cell phone service is pretty good but goes in and out. Also note that Nextel was the only service that was working immediately after the storm - (I have Verizon so I am not biased)- just telling you like it is. Grocery stores are a pain cause there is a long line at the door letting a few people in at a time. Why ...I don't know.

We block off the city at night (Interstate on-ramps) to keep the undesirables from New Orleans from causing problems here. Sorry but true...for every decent New Orelans person impacted by the storm there are 10 that are forth generation welfare and will rob you, kill you and can not be trusted. I live here.....in spite of what TV says...this is the facts. This is why New Orleans is a small battle zone. Hope this info helps.

No.......but i just got back from MS, brining my brothers family back up in the ST, none the less. I left sat nite at 10pm and got back to PA at 7:30pm. Things are bad down there, people without power, water, phone........i might have pics later......very tired.......

Latest posts