Anyone ever try this trick?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
seen it done with that europe racing where they are in the frozen tundra. The sudden expansion inflates the tire and replaces the bead. BUT, they dont recommend it, as it could blow up in your face, and it only inflates enough for driving like they do, with about 10 lbs of air pressure in the tire for traction over frozen snow and tundra.

That is how we used to always get ATV tubeless tires back on the bead (you don't want to know how we got them off the bead, lol). Extremely dangerous way to do it because too much ether, and the tire blows off.

Awww, I long to go back to those days when I thought I was indesctructable......

I've done it with acetalene when I couldn't get a tire to seat using just compressed air, but like said above, it's not really the smartest thing to do....

We used to do that all the time when I was in the military but we had to use something with a bit more kick to it...starter fluid

The tire man at our maintenance facility used to do it with starting fluid when packing the bead with tire goop didn't work. Too much and the tire would jump a foot or more off of the ground! That was back in the "good ole days". When the safety department got wind of it they went ballistic!:lol:

Now there's a "Cheetah Tank" that just makes life so much easier and safer. I actually made one for my own shop use.

33e505b301db2862a0c202c00874fcc2.jpg

1c8c72dd1aeb22396c5865a8bbf7ebd8.gif

I have seen that done on some big truck tires using Starting Fluid. I might give that a try with my lawn mower when the tire gets low, I don't notice it, and i drive it off the rim. I have been putting a rope turnicut around the tire to get the tire to seal, but a quick shot of starting fluid might just do the trick.

...Rich

We used to do it all the time when I was in high school working for my dad. We'd have a hard time getting tires to air up so we'd shoot a little starter fluid and toss a match towards the wheel and BOOM! instant seating of the beads. I always stood back and let Dad do it. Almost as bad as the old style ratcheting tire bands. My dad almost lost his hand to one of those!

You fill the tank of the Cheetah with air and rest the end of it up against the bead of the tire, then all you do is throw the valve open and the tank expels all of it's air under pressure in about the blink of an eye and blows the tire up.

Once the tire is seated, why can't you just inflate it back up some more? I'm missing something, though that was a cool physics demonstration.

You use a hands free type tire chuck (as shown in the video) , introducing air into the tire AS you open up the Cheetah valve. It may stay seated with the tank alone but that's not the way to do it........... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts