anyone ever have a vehicle shipped to a new location?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael b

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had ever used a auto transport company. Or has anyone ever hired an individual to drive/deliver a vehicle a long distance? Thanks

If you really care about your car pay for a service that puts your vehicle on a flat-bed. When I got out of college I drove three vehicles cross country for those auto delivery services. You get free travel and a car you can beat up in exchange for getting the vehicle delivered in a set amount of days. Most drivers of these services are young kids who do not and wll not cae about your car.

Transporters will do a thorough inspection and find dents and dings that you didn't know existed. Not sure about the price but we had a good experience. Car was shipped to and from Europe.

I had a Trans Am shipped from Arizona to New York about 7 years ago. It was transferred on an 18-wheeler, open car carrier, like the ones the new cars are shipped to dealers on. I think it took 5 days and I was very happy with the service. Price was $800 but I'm sure they went up now. Vehicle is insured if they damage it and they do an inspection before they load it and once it is received. I'm sure they are all different so make sure to read the fine print on their responsibility for damages.

You can also have it shipped in a closed carrier but I remember that was much more expensive. Besides being very dirty it arrived in perfect condition.

George

We have not used a sevice such as this. But, we have a good friend that does this for a living. His company uses enclosed trailers. They are well known in the industry and haul everything from everyday drivers to movie stunt cars and the Rolls Royce Silver Ghoast. Based in New Jersey with over 28 owner - operators around the country. The business is called Horseless Carriage. Another one would be Passport Transport. Both of these have very professional trucks and drivers. Inter City Carriers don't have as many trucks as far as I know. Not sure on price but, like anything else there are slow times and rates fluctuate.

Mel

Tonka, I have a similar situation where I want to buy a new 2007/8 ST Limited from Van Bortel Ford in Victor N.Y, a dealer who gives a 100,000 mile basic care warranty for every new vehicle they sell, which is sort of a revelation to me, plus they sell new Fords and Subarus for $400 over invoice. They show you three prices; invoice, msrp, and their price. After saying all of that, I wanted to buy from them because of the warranty, but they are in NY and I am in Texas. They said they would have to register it in NY, and I could have it transported to Dallas Texas via some transport service. I am not too keen on having someone drive it to me, so I would probably have it shipped via auto transport (car carrier). I have never done that before so I would be interested in a solution myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got thru transporting my ST form Florida to the panhandle of Texas.It was a pain at first because of where I live.I dealt with the big companies and they were unable to find a transport to get here.Lots of transports were going to south Texas. I finally went to Uship.That worked out good for me. Mine was transported from Miami Fl. to Dalhart Tx. Cost 1000 dollars.I was very happy with it. Ron

Tonka, my son just arranged to have my old original CJ 5 Jeep picked up here in Great Falls, Montana and shipped to Crawfordsville, Indiana. It cost him $1000. It was an 80 ft. flatbed that hauls recreational vehicles to the Western U.S. and picks up vehicles for his backhaul East. The Jeep was picked up on May 15th at 2:30 PM and arrived in Crawfordsville, IN the evening of the 17th. No problems whatsoever, except narrow wheelbase of old Jeep made it kind of hard to load. The wheels overhung the inside of the trailer wheel ramps by about 1/4 of the tire width, but no problems. Of all the vehicle hauling services he found on an Internet search, prices varied from $1000. to $1500. The pickup and delivery was arranged through Express Auto.

Gary

Tonka -

I've used Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS) twice and have been very pleased. You can choose Enclosed, Open, or Open Top Load (less chance of something dripping on it).

Open is cheapest. Top Load was $100.00 more. Enclosed is expensive. My Lincoln LS went Top Load - my Cobra Convert. went enclosed - not quite double - but a lot more.

They also have satilite tracking. Just log on, enter your account number, and find out exactly where your car/truck is at.

They picked it up on a flatbed, and took it to their yard where it was staged on the transport.

When it got to California, they washed it and delivered it my driveway via flatbed. They also have auto insurance upto $50k (amount may have changed now)

Mike

Latest posts