Anyone else have an E-Brake problem?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Butler

Reaction score
Every year when it comes that time to get the Trac inspected, my emergency brake is always frozen. Anyone else have this yearly problem? I rarely use it, and if I do use it, it is right after inspection. Perhaps it's a curse I should never touch? :eek:nline:

I use mine year round so I never have that problem. i use mine like 50 % of the time. It keeps it from freezing up. Been driving since 1968 and have never had a frozen parking brake ever...even in the crappy Ohio winter weather with all the salt they stick on the roads. Use it or lose it..appears to be the theory here!

Daniel -Being from Erie, PA...you most likely get the snow and the salt too!

'07 ST

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh you can believe I get the snow too haha. Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll have to put my parking brake to use. Thanks! :haveabeer: Yea.. Sometimes I feel the city over does it with the salt sometimes..

Hey Bo

In cars, the hand brake (emergency brake, e-brake, parking brake) is a latching brake usually used to keep the car stationary, and in manual transmission vehicles, as an aid to starting the vehicle from stopped when going up an incline - with one foot on the clutch (to disengage it smoothly), the other on the accelerator (to avoid stalling from the increased torque required by the incline), a third limb is needed for the brake (to avoid rolling backwards while moving a foot from brake to accelerator). Automobile e-brakes usually consist of a cable (usually adjustable for length) directly connected to the brake mechanism on one end and to some type of mechanism that can be actuated by the driver on the other end. The mechanism is often a hand-operated lever (hence the hand brake name), on the floor on either side of the driver, or a pull handle located below and near the steering wheel column, or a (foot-operated) pedal located far apart from the other pedals.

Although sometimes known as an emergency brake, using it in any emergency where the footbrake is still operational is likely to badly upset the brake balance of the car and vastly increase the likelihood of loss of control of the vehicle, for example by initiating a rear-wheel skid. Additionally, the stopping force provided by using the handbrake instead of or in addition to the footbrake is usually small and would not significantly aid in stopping the vehicle, again because it usually operates on the rear wheels; they suffer reduced traction compared to the front wheels while braking. The emergency brake is instead intended for use in case of mechanical failure where the regular footbrake is inoperable or compromised, hopefully with opportunity to apply the brake in a controlled manner to bring the vehicle to a safe, if gentle halt before seeking service assistance. Modern brake systems are typically very reliable and engineered with failsafe (e.g. dual-circuit hydraulics) and failure-warning (e.g. low brake fluid sensor) systems, meaning the handbrake is no longer often called on for its original purpose.

The most common use for an automobile emergency brake is to keep the vehicle motionless when it is parked, thus the alternative name, parking brake. Car emergency brakes have a ratchet locking mechanism that will keep them engaged until a release button is pressed. On vehicles with automatic transmissions, this is usually used in concert with a parking pawl in the transmission. Automotive safety experts[who?] recommend the use of both systems to immobilize a parked car, and the use of both systems is required by law in some places, yet many individuals use only the "Park" position on the automatic transmission and not the parking brake. Its similar with manual transmission cars: They are recommended always to be left with the handbrake engaged, in concert with their lowest gear (usually either first or reverse). The use of both systems is also required by law in some jurisdictions. However, when parking on level ground, many people either only engage the handbrake (gear lever in neutral), or only select a gear (handbrake released).

Last edited by a moderator:
I call the parking brake an emergency brake. I used to have a 1971 Chevy Nova and the brakes went out on it so in this "emergency situation" I down shifted the auto trans and used the emergency brake to come to a complete stop before going over a cliff. I remember when i lived in Hermiston, Oregon my front right brake hose my 1998 S-10 pick-up had either burst or someone cut it. For a week I drove it until the hose got shipped in by using the 5 speed trans to control my speed and the "emergency brake" to completely stop me at stop signs, lights, etc... Aww the good old days, fun times. :driving:

I live in Pittsburgh and they definetly used too much salt here. I've had new e-brake shoes in the box for about two years now, I geuss I should install them sometime I just absolutely despise working on drum brakes, NO patience, think I'll pay my neighbor to install them sometime before November when my inspections up. :banana:

LOL, the only problem with my parking brake is that the release handle broke off about a year ago. Quite funny to watch valets, or anyone else for that matter, try to get the parking brake to release.

It is due to a lack of use.

The cables have wetness that is within the housing. It causes rust and the cables seize to the housing.

Start spraying a quality lubricant into the ends of the housing and then start to work the brake a bit after a week or so of spraying...

Latest posts