Anybody using any Live TV online software?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard L

Reaction score
I am looking to dump my Time Warner Cable service. I have had DirecTV and do not want to sign up for any 2 year contracts for 500 channels of stuff I don't watch anyway.

I have been looking on the web and found a number of free Live TV sights but many of them are not transmitting most of the time? Most do not show real Live TV, but you can watch episodes from previous shows a day later or sometimes the next season? I want to watch a show as it is being broadcasts

I have also looked at some Live TV Software ranging from $49-$79 for a one-time price and claim they show Live TV programs from thousands of channels like ABC, CBS, NBC, ESPN, NFL Network, HBO, Showtime, etc.. with no monthly fees, but never provide a complete list of channels so I don't know exactly what I would be getting? Some claim that the other Live TV software is a scam, but theirs is the only true Live TV.

I have a Roku box with NetFlix, Hulu, and a bunch of other channels, but none provide real Live TV as it is broadcast...which is what I want with no monthly fees.

So, has anybody here bought any of these Live TV software packages and can tell me how well they work and what channels they get, and if they are true "LIVE" TV broadcasts or on-demand later broadcasts?

...Rich

I'm interested too. Cable TV company sucks, and sattellite TV sucks. Cannot get the TV service through the phone company because the phone wires are so old and overloaded through duplexing in my neighborhood.

In this day and technology, I can't believe TV doesn't have better alternatives (or at least lower prices and better service through the existing options).

I have a roku box and that's all. got out of cable about 9 months ago. i only watch it on weekends and jsut a few channels few hours a week so it was not worth the 80.00 or so monthly. I miss the live TV on those few hours a week but no real pain. I recently found a site that offers network live channels with a catch. you have to be a US resident but Out of the country to use it. USTVNOW on roku is the channel I think. Actually It works in the US for me as I tested it. (but not legally) they also offer cable channesl at a premium price.

BTW I suppose you heard the playoff games and superbowl are going to be live streaming on the inteernet for the first time this year.

Other sites I've tried over the years is one called TVU but I don't think they exist anymore. They were gobbled up by one of those big 3 you were talking about. I did see live play on multiple channels including Cable ones like syfy, and discovery but it's been a while. It was odd to see the live play on my tv from satellite and laptop from DSL at almost the same instant.

bottom line is I am sort of waiting on a personal stamp of approval from someone other than a website testimonial too.

I recently bought a ROKU xds 1080p HD box and a netgear wireless router. Havent set it up yet. So I dont have an opinion. Got the Items @ half price through 1daysales and bensoutlet. The roku is new router refurbished.

I recently watched a video after the purchase. About 3 or 4 diferent brands. It didnt help me decide if I made the right purchase. As they all have their pros and cons.

If I find the vid, I will post it.

I am using Playon through my Roku.

There are some "live" channels, but most are not.

I don't think you will get anything like you want. If it did exist, everyone would drop cable, satellite, fios etc. and those companies would be out of business.

"They are too big to fail".

DoctorCAD,

Actually, I think they do already exists because I recently read an article that said Cable TV companies are reporting a 9% loss in customers over the past year. The reason was that there are newer technologies with streaming Live TV which are much cheaper than cable and satellite TV That's what started me on my search for these systems...and there are plenty out there. I am trying to separate the wheat from the chaf, and finding which ones are really providing access to Live TV and which ones are only providing videos a day or a week later...which is what I can get on Hulu, and other free or subscription websites.

I have downloaded one software package that claimed to provide streaming video from as many as 4500 stations worldwide with about 500 US stations including ESPN, ESPN2, ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX etc....but when I try to view those channels it says: "Not currently broadcasting, try again later"? Perhaps they only broadcast on the web at certain times?

I am just wondering if anyone has tried any of these software packages that really provide Live TV of the above mentioned networks?

PlymBob'02,

I can get all those stations listed for my area Over-the-Air with a large Omni-directional antenna even now....but that only gets the local broadcast networks but not any of the cable channels like ESPN, History, SciFi, Discovery, Comedy Central, etc. Not sure why the gomuhu antenna requires a broadband internet connection??

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I simply don't trust those services that claim to give you dozens or hundreds of live channels including local and national channels. They seem like a scam for me.

Since the switch to OTA HD msot areas of the country now get at least 2 to 5 local affiliates including the top 4 broadcasters (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX), and for each of those affiliates you get at least a couple of channels. In my area, most can get about 30 channels OTA since the switch.

I know of a lot of people that have just broadband, Netflix (or Amazon, or Hulu Plus) and have OTA HD and a HDD video recorder and are quite happy.

TJR

This is the only one I have ever heard of that does what you want, but its even more expensive than cable or sat.

http://www.nationphone.com/Premium_TV_Plan.html

Oh, and the reason for the 9% drop is OTA and streaming services, not "live" streaming.

DoctorCAD,

Yes there are some companies that are internet based Cable TV and charge the same or more than the local Cable companies do.

Yes, the drop in Cable subscribers is due to the streaming services as well as some OTA if you live close enough to get a good signal.

My point is that many companies claim to have software for sale that will allow you to view Live TV and they tease you with lots of network names, but I am trying to find out if all they channels and networks they list are actually Live TV broadcast and not On-Demand past episodes of these network shows? They all want you to think that all their broadcasts are Live TV, but they just never come out and say that. I don't want to put out $50-$80 for something that is no better than what I get with NetFlix or Hulu.

TJR,

Yes, I suspect that I will just put up my antenna for OTA broadcasts and live with NetFlix, Hulu, and the the channels I have added to my Roku box.

I was just hoping someone here tried some of the Live TV software and can attest to what it can and cannot do.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
you might try this one

ustvnow.com

As stated on the website it is for us passport holders traveling or living abroud, however there are user sin the US posting online it works in the states. Free normal broadcast networks in the basic plan but about 50 channels available for $20-50 per month. They do offer a pay for premium by the day plan too. like 2.99 for a day of the 50 channels if you are jsut going to need them for the weekend or something on a short trip.

It's a ROKU player channel too and I think they are avaialbel on ipad, iphone or internet on the PC.

I dumped satellite last year and don't have access to any OTA stations. Live too far from metro areas. I really need something like USTVNOW in the US. I believe TV is at the edge of a big change and in 5 years, Roku of today will look like a wooden wagon compared to a new semi tractor trailer.

BTW, USTV did work great on my roku with live networks like cbs abc fox nbc pbs when I added the channel. Found the directions in an email from USTVNOW. Also posted on various sites including ustvnow. I do get out of the US on occasion so will try it on my next trip to the great north.

mginwyo,

Thanks, that was the kind of info I was looking for. I set up the Free USTVNOW on my Roku and it worked perfectly, unfortunately, they were not in HD..:cry: USTVNOW does have several packages with 150-200 channels but the cost is way higher than my cable company charges....($99-$169)... ouch! They even have a deluxe HD package with all the extra cost premium channels, but that costs almost $200 per month...:angry:

And that's pretty much why I want to dump my cable company for something a lot cheaper.

I'm sure there are other companies out there providing Streaming Live TV..I just don't know about the companies that claim they sell software (for $50-$80) that allows free Internet access to nearly all the channels available on Cable with no monthly fees. They don't seem to want to state specifics, or give you too much information. I'm sure their software probably works, but does it give you the Live steaming channels you want or are the just On-Demand viewing of previously recorded episodes of TV shows.

So my search goes on.

...Rich

USTVNOW is nationalphone.com, the link I already provided.

I have asked in other forums and I will post back if I hear of anything.

DoctorCAD,

Thanks for the update. I guess the two websites looked very different, so I did not associate ustvnow.com with nationalphone.com. ustvnow.com invites you to sign up for their free Live TV channels, but I did not notice any links to free TV at nationalphone.com. I did not stay too long...I suspect the prices scared me away..:cry:

...Rich

I posted the question on a well known HDTV forum. Tens of thousands of members that are up on all of the latest technology (although lots of them have an unhealthy love for all things Panasonic) and in the 8 hours it has been on line, 58 views and not a single post about a genuine on-line streaming service.

I will let it sit for a while longer, but if one existed, these people would know.

TV services should be billed on an as-used basis. Instead of requiring a huge package of 250 worthless channels, how about billing me for what I actually watch and for how long I watch it.

The current cable/satellite monopoly has got to cave in one of these days.

Gavin,

I agree with you 100%...and so does the Federal Government in as much as they have been pushing for Ala Carte Cable TV services....That would allow the consumer to pick the channels they want and not have to pay for channels they don't want which are included in the various packages the Cable companys push down our throats. That's not exactly like your suggestion of metering your viewing time, but I'm not sure the cable companies can even do that unless all channels become pay-per-view?? But that may be the way to go.

I'm not sure if that would work for me, or many others since I am a remote-control Channel Surfer...and often only spend a few minutes watching one channel and switch to another when the commercials come on. I often watch two or three shows at once with Picture in a Picture or just hop between two or more channels....Trying to get the most viewing in for what I pay for...:bwahaha:

I do wish they would go to an ala-carte system so I don't have to pay for 200+ channels that I don't ever watch and don't want, but I have them only because they are in the package I need to buy to get those channels that I want...:angry:

...Rich

Latest posts