Any words of advise on security cameas

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Clary

Reaction score
I am seeking advise. I have found that when ever I need good advise I can always get it from my friends at the Sport Trac Web Site.

Here's my question. I have a home security system with ADT. It's cellular as we don't have a land line phone. I also have cameras outside that are hooked to a Lorex DVR. The video output is from the DVR to a monitor. That's how I get to see what's going on outside my home. Lorex, in the manual, says that I can make this bad boy work on my laptop. Problem is, I would like to have the feed from the Lorex to my computer wireless as they are in different rooms and I would also like to see real time video if I am on the road. I had the ADT guy out and he said no problem but I would need to purchase an encoder for each camera that will feed my existing system. I have four cameras and would need one for each camera according to him. I believe that they would hard wire it from my DVR location to my ADT panel. Up through the attic. The cost quoted is well over $500.00. I checked with cox cable who also has a security system but it appears that I would have to bundle with TV and Landline and internet. No bundle no can do. So how do I wirelessly send the signal from the DVR to my internet? I forgot to mention that I have a century link wireless do hicky (C1000A) that feeds my internet access. It seems to me that I should be able to send the live feed to somewhere on the internet and then be able to access it from anywhere. I am pretty computer illiterate but this doesn't seem to be a big deal. Any advise? Thanks in advance. Dave

I'm not familiar with the Lorex brand but I would assume that your DVR has an Cat 5 internet jack on the back of it. If so, you would plug that into your router. You would then have to configure the router for port forwarding. Most DVR manufacturers have a help line to walk you through the programming and a step by step procedure on how to get it to work.

I have a couple of systems that I installed and I can see them on my iPhone and any computer, my own house and my skeet club.

I have two wireless security cameras. They have motion detectors and infared night vision. Mine can be connected to any device on my network for recording, or audio/video. My router manufacturer (D-Link) also provides a website to access my cameras from a mobile device any where I get a WiFi or cellular connection. I have Apps that run on my Android phone and Tablet PC and software that sends me email alerts with a snapshot of whatever triggered the motion detector and then automatically starts recording

For recording, I currently record to the hard drive on my PC, however if someone breaks in they may steal the computer and I loose my recording, so I am thinking that I might want to hide a cheap wireless laptop in the attic for recording, and I could still access the laptop via WiFi from my main PC?

Some cameras come with a Cat5 to WiFi converter, and you can buy the converter speparately as well...you might be able to connect the DVR to a WiFi converter?

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your replies. I am still a bit confused about this and think I'll just get a second opinion from another security provider. I did send an email to Lorex and they replied that I would need to call their tech line and they could help me. I am sure I would be required to pay a fee. I decided that would possibly be ok so I gave them a call. I spent 14 minutes on hold before I hung up. No help there if they won't answer the phone. So i'll just call a pro and see what they say. Again, thanks for the help.

Itybitybob....I recently help setup cameras for my sister and neighbors and I have them myself so I might be able to help. Three different systems. Lorex, Night owl and Swann. To setup any unit you will need to know what your ISP IP address is. However before you start were you able to setup the information such as IP address, port forwarding information etc on the DVR? Then were you able to access the IP address on the computer that is connected to the router/modem or router? This is just the start process because now you have to gain access to the firewall on your router and open port forwarding and setup the same info that is in your DVR network for the cameras.. You will need the setup info in your Lorex manual because this will tell you how to setup your URL so you can access the cameras outside of your home. Base on what I am reading and I could be wrong you have not yet accessed the port forwarding setup through the router.Make sure your IP is set at static if internet is DSL ...cable has to be DHCP but you should not reset the router or DHCP IP will change constantly..How long have you had the unit? Less than 1year? Setting up can be a lengthy process.

pj is for the most part, correct. One of the keys to accessing and controlling your cameras over the internet when you are away from home and your home wireless network is to get a static remote IP address. There are several companies that will give you access so you can port forward your camera/s IP address to get online access.

I have a D-Link wireless router, and doing some research discovered that D-Link offers a free IP address for port forwarding such things as security cameras. Some advertise that they will give you static IP to forward to, but have a lot of restrictions, or just don't offer them free anymore"

D-Links static IP forwarding address it free and works great...they just don't mention it in any of their manuals. Perhaps other Router manufacturer's offer a similiar free service? The nice part of the free D-link static IP address is if your IP service uses DHCP (your IP address is subject to change) the D-Link free service tracks those changes and links to your new IP address so your D-Link static IP never changes and you don't have to reconfigure your software or mobile devices.

Of course, if you are not interested in monitoring your security cameras remotely over the internet, than you don't need the Static IP port forwarding service.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the advise. I learned yesterday that I could use a power line bridge adapter to plug my DVR into. One adapter at the DVR and one at my router plugged into my 110 outlet. It uses my house wiring as a bridge. This will cure the problem of getting the DVR signal to the router without a earth net cable strung through out the house. I have a kit ordered and think this will get me headed down the right road. It's pretty neat to me that even as an ole guy I can still learn from all of you. Thanks for all your help. You rock! :banana:

Dave

Itybitybob....why don't you just get a universal wireless Netgear - Wal-Mart sells them for $49 but you can get them on E-bay for less. I purchased one for $25 used which I am using with my Samsung Blu-ray player. It works well as long as you are able to WPS - Wireless Protective Security- There should be a button on both the receiver and the router, this will make the connection between the route and the wireless Netgear receiver. By the way this device has to be programmed using a laptop or computer so it learns your network password first.

Regarding the IP address..this depends on the security cameras you have. Lorex uses IP address plus data port such as 192.168.1.254:1500 for indoor communication on your own network, but uses an URL which is through Lorex.- check out the manual. Night-owl and Swann for example uses IP address and port from network and the IP address provided through your ISP plus the same port forwarding. Your route should have a range such as 192.168.1.1 - 100.

As I mentioned before it is a lengthy process.I try not to hard wire if I can help it, so I try several ways to make the system work for me.

P.J.

Latest posts