Any thoughts on the ninja 250 sport bike???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Toledano

Reaction score
I have been looking at the 2006 kawasaki ninja 250. I am a beginner and am only 5'9 so I was looking for a smaller sport bike. Can get one new for about $3000 and they hold their resale value. Anyone have one, riden one, or have any comments? Thanks for any info.

i know it is your first bike, but if you can afford it go for something around a 600cc. You will get beord with the 250 real quick.

Yep I agree.. you won't be satisfied with a 250cc and will grow out of it in less than a month. I bought a 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636R this year as my first bike and I love it.. I could go bigger but I'm really glad i didn't go smaller. I'm 5'9 as well and weigh 200lbs. A 250 just wouldn't cut it.

250 will be too underpowered for street and will be dangerous. I agree-- get at least a 900cc.

Also, it is a very damp 30 degrees here with 25 MPH wind. I can't imagine riding a bike today.

Willie, Don't get a 250 it's way too small and under powered. A friend of mine who didn't know how to ride bought a 250, within 6 months SHE had sold it and gotten a 600 b\c the 250 was too small for her. (she was all of 100 pounds soaking wet)

I agree-- get at least a 900cc.

I wouldn't recomment going over a 750cc super sport or sport bike. A 900cc is ok if its a v-twin for your first bike which is what i hope Gavin is recommending. And since you mentioned a Ninja I'm assuming that you want a sport/super sport bike.

My Ninja ZX-6R which is 636cc is more than fast enough.. compared to most 1000cc bikes the 636 competes really well. In almost every comparison this year the ZX-6R came second to only 1 bike... the Suzuki GSX-R 1000 which is a total beast.

Acceleration from 0-60 is sick on the 636cc, and i hit a top speed of 287 km/h which i think is about 178 mph. Didn't take long either... and resale on these bikes are great like most SS bikes.

Here's an old pic of my bike.. I'm not on my home pc so I don't have access to my new pics.. its generally the same but I have my rims painted gold to match the forks and brakes and the rear signal light assembly is replaced with a single brake light/signal light combo.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can tell you from my experience go for the 600cc bike. I had a 250 and it was way to slow for me. I am not really a speed demon but trust me you will be happier with a 600. I am only 5'6" and I still preferred the feel and the speed of the 600. If you are going to get the 250 just go out and buy a nice scooter. they are cheaper and go just about as fast :)

J.

I agree with the others..I havent rode in years, since I sold my harley(hope to again someday)

Never met any adult that was happy with anything less than 600cc...

cruz: That's what I was thinking... a 250cc bike is fine for off-road use, but I don't think one that size could keep up with highway traffic.

Heck, I rode a 125cc trail bike from Lake City to Silverton Colorado over the old jeep trails and went over a 12,000 ft pass.

a 250 street bike and a 250 dirt bike are geared different. the 250 street bike can and will do highway speeds with no problem and keep up with traffic that is following speed limits. it is a starter bike. although it would be a great starter bike, a 600cc would be fine for an adult. i would start a 16-21 yr old on a 250cc street bike......

Yes you should buy a ninja 250 for a started bike, no you should not buy it new though. I'm not even going to start to comment on all the other people talking about starting to ride a motorcycle on anything 600 or larger. If you want to discuss why I feel this way please feel free to IM me (same as my alias here)

I'm not even going to start to comment on all the other people talking about starting to ride a motorcycle on anything 600 or larger

probably because yourself or someone you know got hurt or killed on a bike, right?

No I own an SV 650 currently and still ride regularly.. Has nothing to do with anyone I know getting hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't see an issue with buying a 600cc sport bike aslong as you have common sense and good riding skills.

My first year was this year. I bought a brand new zx-6r, I drove in the rain 2200kms to whistler, b.c. in 0 degree weather. I have 13,452 kms on my bike now all of which were ridden since I got my licence in May this year.

Its harder to develope good correct riding skills on a bike that has the power of a 600cc and up.

Let me begin by saying I love this forum above all, and I respect others opinions of the ninja 250 however I have to respectfully disagree.

Perhaps I can disagree because having owned several motorcycles ranging from 250 cc to 900cc and taking my best friends busa out every other weekend, I can speak from experience.

The ninja 250 is an awesome bike. It has been perfected over the past 10 years. There is no other bike that has the performance capacity this does.

What happens is some people assume that the bigger the bike the better the rider. Unfortunately, that can go both ways. As a beginner, if there is truth to that statement, then you should stay away from the larger CC's cause you will most likely kill yourself. If there is no truth to that statement, then you can take a 250 and keep up with anyone else anyway as you become a better rider. How?

When I had my 250, I rode with a group of about 12 guys, bikes ranged in sizes but the average was probably 600cc. My riding skill allowed me to easily keep up with them, at any time, whether on twisties (where I could always take them) or on the highway (sure they were quicker but not leaving me in the dust)

The 250 has an awesome powerband at 7k rpms and redlines at 14k. Its 0-60 is faster than any sports car on the road and it will hit 100mph without any trouble. Does anyone really need more performance than this?

If you can learn how to ride on a 250, when you upgrade them bike, which you will do at some point, you will be a far better rider than any of these knuckleheads that get into something larger.

They really have no idea what they are getting into. When you sit on a machine that is capable of lifting the front tire off the ground in 5th gear doing 20 mph (little experiment on the busa) that type of power and speed is insane and totally not necessary.

So, in closing, I would recommend getting the 250 as a beginner (and even most "experienced" riders would benefit by it) and see if riding is for you before making such a huge commitment. Some people dont like riding after all, look at all the classifieds in your local paper for harleys for sale. Most are brand new because people go all out for the lifestyle yet find out that they hate it.

Dont buy a new one, dealers kill you with their doc and prep fees, even thought the msrp is way reasonable. You should be able to find one that is less than two years old, low miles and in great shape for less than $2500, easy. When done, sell it for the same amount.

i'm 6'3 and about 200lbs, moving to georgia from miami and would like to ride up, and was thinking of getting a GSXR1000 i think for 5gs....good idea? no? would i fit?...i had a bad experience squeezing into a lotus elise so...lol

Latest posts