any surfers?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Szagala

Reaction score
If there are any surfers here, I was wondering where you put your board in the ST! I am looking into getting an 8' board and have no clue where to put it. I think the roof and bed are too short(too much overhang). I can open the back window and put it through there in the summer but that can get pretty cold during the winter months in NJ.

any ideas?

I put my 8'6 and 9'0 on top and haven't had any problems. It's all in the rack though- I use the Thule hang 2 rack. I've also seen people attach the soft racks to a bed extender and carry them that way.

-Heather in OC

I don't have one, but I rent one when we go to the beach, since we only go a few times a year. Last time we just bungee tied them down in the bed. Went to Rincon, PR to surf earlier this summer and it was AMAZING surfing! Perfect water, perfect waves, just a ton of fun.

thanks for the info heather. I guess I was thinking that an 8 footer hanging over a 4' cab would be a little much. I am think of getting a bed extender and just opening the tailgate and putting the board back there. It wouldnt be more than a foot or foot and half hanging over, wrapped in some towels and bungeed down.

With the tailgate down, I usually use the surfboard pad for my roofrack on the bed extender with straps to hold it down for short trips to spots within a couple of miles. The Yakima Roof rack works great for longer drives to Honolulu or the North Shore. I have put long boards on the rack many times with no prob.

Adam S

I havnt been able to use my trac to go surfing because its in Washington when home is Hawaii. :( but I would use the bed extender. A board that size would rest on the extender nicely and not slide around. Might not even need bungees or anthything.

I use my Yakima rack to put my 9' Surf WAVESKI on top. I haven't had any problems thus far. With the roof rack on my Trac I can carry a 9' WAVESKI and two 9' or bigger Kayaks with no problem. All of this at high speeds. They hang over front and back but its not a big deal. If you want to see my setup check out my library pics.

I have a 10'0 long board that i put on top of my ST. I have the Yakima cross bars with the pads that you can get at any surf shop to hold the board on. You shouldnt have any problems putting an 8' on there at all. Yes it hangs over the back and the front but I have had no problems yet. I have to drive 2 hrs to get to the beach and I went over 10 times this summer and with the better winter waves in the Atlantic ill be going alot more. :D

Latest posts