Any plumbers around?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo Loo

Reaction score
Hi am trying to replace anode rod in my hot water heater but I can't find it. I removed three of the available covers and it's not there and it looks like it might be attached to the pressure relief valve.

Any ideas?

Edit: This was installed new by a pro plumber 3 years ago. As part of the recommended maintentance, I was going to replace the anode. I found several online videos and it looked to be a fairly simple project.

After opening all the available "ports" on the top, there is no anode.

I called the company (new owner) and before my phone died, he said something about the anode is connected to the dip tube. :banghead:

Per the documentaion I have, it's supposed to be in the rear port behind the cold water inlet. It's definitely not there or in any other available/unused port.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
The pressure relief valve is in the hole that the anode used to be installed? Confirm this- is there a port for the pressure relief valve (supposed to be installed) on the side of the water heater about 1/4 of the way down? I doubt that this is it- I see the warning sticker about having a pressure relief valve next to that port where the valve is presently installed. .

check under the cover for the electrical hookup. I will bet it is under there in the right side. You may have to pull some foam insulation away from it.

If not, maybe this a cheapy "builder's grade" water heater that came without an anode rod.)

The other three holes are where they injected the polyurethane foam insulation.

TURN OFF BREAKER FIRST! Remove the cover next to the electrical conduit with a Philips screwdriver.

Locate the top of the anode rod. The rod is sometimes concealed by a circular metal tab that you may need to pry off using a flat-head screwdriver.

BTW, I am NOT a plumber. I just Google a lot. LOL

Latest posts