Any one in NY city

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me how washing your car in your driveway, is considered public and not private. A citation issue. Listen to the statute the cop reads. He's not talking about water rationing.

Sounds to me as this guy has an A-HO nieghbor. That has done this before. So he set up this video to proove the stupidity of the PD's reasoning of public vs private.

If this was to happen in my city. My thought's would be that city council is in cahoots. With auto shops' and car washes. Loss of simple freedom can become loss of many.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TYLWQ45BsN0?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's New York City where it's also illegal to sell a single cigarette

Cop is doing his job, he also mentioned in the complaint the word "detailing", which may mean this guy might be buying cars, cleaning them, then flips them, which is illegal in all of NY, since it is kind of a business. A zoned residential area cannot be used for business purposes, and if he is flipping cars, he need to obtain and display red NYS dealer sign. It sounds like there is more to this than is reported here. NYS law states that you may have only 1 unregistered car on your property, None if they are smashed (nys anti junkyard law) (must be indoors). Dealers may not work on cars outside at any time. NYS law also says that you can only sell off your property, 2 cars/year. any more than that, then you need to register as a dealer.

also, in all of NYS, it is illegal to sell single cigs, and if you sell any at all, you must be licensed.

It's NYC, where stepping off a curb at a crosswalk against a red light can get you a ticket or ruffing-up by a cop, or arrest.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are among the reasons I left NYC, but that is not NYC. Local ordinances can be a b**ch anywhere you go.

Crap like that is intended to protect property value "in public view". If he washed the car around back of the house, no problem. The spirit of the law is to be able to enforce something when someone is abusing or out of control... i.e. operating an unlicensed detailing business in their driveway, but "these are all my friend's cars."

But it gets out of hand and like the cop even states at the beginning "the problem is your neighbors don't like you". Usually a neighbor finds a statute and pisses off the Captain by calling so much that he has to send a cop to tell you to cut that shit out.

Now here's the difference, back in the day, good cops would have a conversation with you, fire a warning shot, and diffuse the whole thing; you then had a choice to make if you wanted to challenge the law in court, continue the activity, and on his next visit you were going to be arrested or fined.

Latest posts