Any Golfers in here?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
I need some advice on golf clubs. My game is not great, despite several series of lessons here and there, and a college PE course in golf over the years. I have a problem not getting under the ball when driving, and I have about convinced myself that I need some longer clubs. I am 6'-3". Does this sound possible?

Any suggestions on possibilities to getting some clubs without breaking the bank? I don't play much because I am no good, and I am no good because I don't play much. I am thinking if I could make some improvements to get a little better, I might start playing a little more.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Do you have a 2nd swing near you? They sell used clubs and you can get some nice sets that aren't overly used. They should make longer shafts as well. I have a cheap set of irons (Wilson Blackjacks that I love) and a R-7 driver. I bought the driver from 2nd swing.

I have a problem not getting under the ball when driving, and I have about convinced myself that I need some longer clubs. I am 6'-3".

Tee it up higher? Kidding. I'm also a hacker, and learned hitting off tees and mats. I have the same tendency of scooping, and sculling balls. I suggest finding a shop that offers a free swing analysis that checks for length and lie angles, without an obligation to buy. I found club reviews were useless, EVERY swing is different. Also avoid clone or knockoff clubs. GL

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming you don't have a mental block that screws up your swing (Google Charles Barkley golf swing), then I would suggest making sure you are stretched and limber when you golf or practice. I can attest to the fact that I play like crap when I start off without having time to stretch. Especially the back of your legs - Achilles, calves, hamstrings, glutes - if they are tight, then they'll cause you to "stand up" during your swing and you'll bring your club around at a higher point that you wanted. I actually use a foam roller regularly, and doing it before golfing makes a big difference.

On clubs - my game got a lot better with good clubs. They're more forgiving when you don't strike the ball perfectly. As for a driver - you don't necessarily want to "get under" the ball. The tee should place the ball in the center of your driver face on impact. A swing eval with a trainer using slow motion video can show you what your club is doing at impact. If you're hitting the ball on the lower part of the driver face, then maybe it's still coming down (move the ball forward in your stance) or already coming up (move the ball back). If you don't know where you're hitting the drive face, then put some painters' tape on the face of it and hit a few balls. Get warmed up, pretend you're on the course (so you're following your routine and in "game mode" for every swing), and see where the ball hits the face. Drivers also come in varying lofts, and you might need a 11 degree where someone else needs a 9.5 degree.

GAWD!!!! It is so COMPLICATED!!!! :angry:

Just kidding! I appreciate the advice.

I am about as limber as a twelve-string guitar... That could be part of my problem!

The really tall tees do help!

No 2nd swing around here, but there have got to be some golf shops around here somewhere besides the country club. Everything about golf seems to revolve around money! I don't plan to be a Jack Nicklaus, but I don't want to embarrass myself so much too.

I am traveling this weekend- perhaps there are a few golf shops along the way I can check out.

Longer clubs actually give you less control. I rarely tee off with a driver and usually hit it better with a 3 wood or 4 wood. My clubs are Callaway Big Bertha irons and woods except for my driver which is a $30 unit from Boscov's with a head the size of my shoe. Ball goes pretty far when it goes straight, which is rare.

True story:

In my old golf league I really cranked one off the tee and it disappeared over the horizon, arrow straight.

One of my partners says "Great shot, what club was that?"

I said "Big Bertha 4 wood."

He says "My God, how far do you hit your driver?"

I didn't miss a beat and said "Thirty feet, ladies' tee if I'm lucky."

Everyone was laughing so hard that they couldn't tee off for five minutes.

My suggestion. I have been playing for many years. I threw away my driver over 10 yrs ago. (similar to JohnnyO) I tee off with my 3 wood or 5 wood. Nice and easy. Doesn't go far. Just nice and straight right down the middle WHERE IT IS "PLAYABLE". I have played with too many guys blasting it as hard as they can. Woohoo! it goes a mile but no where near the fairway. I say (in my head) "I'll see you on the green later where I'll help you count up all your extra stokes it took you to get the ball playable again". I learned this from playing with old timers all the time. An extra stroke to get to the green is fine with me(because im usually still pretty far away). "bogie" golf for a whole round is a 90. Get one par on top of that and your "in the 80's" :) That's how I play anyway. Planning/playing each hole for a +1. Also, like ncstatewolfpacker stated, you don't necessarily want to "get under" the ball. I agree. Get that out of your head. Hit down on the ball for it to go up. Makes sense right? :) Try it on the range a few times. Good luck. Most important thing is to enjoy. Just like fishing...a bad day of golf is better than a good day at work.

I have been playing golf for 51 years a still can hit my driver around 270 yrs. The thing on making good contact is make sure your feet are in the same place after the swing. Don't jump out of the same stance you started with. Keep your feet still before the swing and after the swing. HAPPING golfing.

Went out a few more times. I tried some of your suggestions and had a few good hits. Most of them, however, are straight but only go 30 yards or so. Anyway, I just about decided to screw golf, but having those few really great hits (low, centered, and +150 yards) convinced me that I CAN do it. I am close, but something basic is holding me back.

I plan to get a pro to help me. Take a few lessons. Practice bunches at the driving range. Next summer I will be golfing good enough to enjoy it.

Latest posts