Any GM Mechanics around ???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Palmer

Reaction score
My 2005 Buick Rainier has a code of P0410, which comes back as P0410 Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction.

I am curious which of the two major components are the more common failure. The Air pump that is mounted on the frame below the driver or the check valve (In line 6cy) mounted on the passengers side of the engine.

I have heard the pump run in the past, though not recently. I have had the light for months, and the pump did run while the light was on.

Finally getting around to getting this fixed. I have many tools and a OBD readers. I do not want to make the trip out to our shop (1.5 hrs one way). If I did, I could use our computer system to help diagnose this.

Looking for suggestions on how to test either and or the more common failure.

Thanks in advance....

On a cold start you should hear the air pump come on for about 45 seconds, if it doesn't than you need to go after that first and the most likely casue is typically a bad air pump.. If the air pump comes on your problem is probably in the electronic check valve on the right side of the engine where the air goes into the engine.. FWIW it's worth the pcm looks for the O2 sensor voltage to be driven low while the air pump is commanded on to determine if the system is working properly or not.

Pump is running, so I will go with the check valve and reset the light.

When I fired it up this morning, I could not hear it. But I laid down on the ground and put my hand on it hoping to feel it working. A while back I drilled a pin-hole in the body to let the condensation water escape. I could feel the air coming out of the hole.

Thanks for your time....

Ok, part arrived a few days ago.

Just swapped it out and cleared the codes with my scanner.

Lets see what happens....

Latest posts