Any GE Appliance people here? Fridge on CRACK-HELP!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chops

Reaction score
Actually, my 13 MONTH OLD FRIDGE IS CRACKING UP!!

I can't believe it. I have a 13 month old GE, $1350.00-stainless-steel-digital readout-side-by-side-water-ice-in-the-door-25cf-near-top-o-the-line POS!!

I changed out the water filter a month ago inside the fridge on the top right, everything *looked* fine (I didn't notice anything like huge CRACKS). A couple days ago, I was stunned to see 8 fractures in the extruded molded interior plastic, right below the water filter.

I can see it is a manufacturing defect, but how hard is it going to be to try to resolve this 1 month out of warranty??

Any suggestions? Any other experiences like this?

To make matters worse, I am in the middle of installing a new kitchen. I threw out my original cabinets and appliances. My new cabinets show up in 4 more weeks. I was planning on keeping everything the same brand....in stainless...cooktop, double wall ovens, warmer, dishwasher...to the tune of an additional $4500, now I'm stunned to give GE anything else!

Is it bad karma - or faux paux- to switch up brands in a new kitchen?

I'd like to hear other opinions.

[Broken External Image]:

Boy that blows! I know what it's like to be remodeling. Everything seems to go wrong when you do. I don't see anything you can do being out of warrenty except give it a shot. Contact the company and/or the place you got it from and you may get lucky enough that they have had this problem before and/or they take it as a manufacturer defect and not try to blame it on you and replace it. Good luck and I hope they work with you on it.;)

Those look like stress cracks, which should not happen in a 13-month-old fridge. I would send pictures of this to GE customer support and get their take on it.

I used to work for an appliance store. I would write a polite letter to GE and see what happens. Don't tick them off right away, they might cover it.

Let them know you are remodeling and are upgrading your other appliances and would like to stay with GE. Allow them to replace this obvious defect and then give them your business. If they say they can't do anything, let them know they have lost a customer. Customer complaints should be viewed as an opportunity to make things right. Here is their opportunity. You may not get the answers you need with the first person who picks up the phone...escalate until you get the answers you want. Be nice at first and give them a chance and then threaten to never buy GE again. You're just one customer but they add up.

Might I suggest Bondo?

Seriously, though, good luck. Was probably there before it was brought into your house.

My 10 and 12 year old decided to wrestle and one landed on top of the open door of the dishwasher...slam, smash, bend, break....I fixed it...it was 8 years old and still good. But it's not as GOOD as new...I have plastic welded parts on it now! ;-)

My bf, who used to work for an appliance repair company for 15 years, said that most refrigerators have a longer warranty for the liner (say 5 years). You'll need to check with GE on this, or look in your warranty book.

It may have been there when you bought it, or perhaps since it is at the end of a shelf slot, something was put on that shelf that was too heavy or was dropped down onto the shelf.

Unfortunately, there is probable very little you can do about it. You might look for some kind of a clear or white Epoxy reinforcement patch that will cover the cracks and prevent them from spreading? Another alternative might be some clear or white silicone sealant. It won't prevent the crack from spreading, but will minimize any loss of cold air.

If you move your shelf one slot up or down, you may take off the stress from the existing cracks and reduce their possibility of spreading.

...Rich

If GE won't repair it, you can fill it with 5200 marine sealant. I used that once before and it worked really well. Press it into the crack with your fingers and then wipe off all that you can, they should disappear.

All's well that ends well.

GE did the right thing and delivered a brand NEW fridge today!!!

The liner that was cracking, was an abomination. They had not seen anything like it. The liners are also permanently foamed in during the manufacturing process, meaning they cannot be replaced at any cost.

Maybe I should not put anything in this new one, and only have it running for show lol???

Latest posts