Any Backup Camera Users Here?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkDawn Houlahan

Reaction score
Hey everyone, been months since I've posted, but do check for new posts about once a week. Just stupid busy with work and car projects...:banghead:

Speaking of projects, I got a sweet deal on an AVIC F90BT Pioneer double DIN for Dawn's ST and will be installing it next weekend. I want to do a backup camera while I'm at it, but I don't want (nor can I) spend $150 for the Pioneer unit. Frankly, I'm hoping to find something OE looking, up to and including a flush mount.

Anyone bought something on eBay they were happy with? Those that installed 'em where did you end up mounting and are you happy with it overall?

Thanks much!

Mark

Got one of the Pep Boys specials and mounted the camera in the middle of my rear plate. Stuck the moniter to the upper left driver's side windshield. Looks nice ...works OK but it has intermittent problems. Chinese crap...you get what you pay for and I got what I paid for. Pics in my libray.

'07 ST

Mark,

Use the search option, there have been plenty of posts regarding camera's on here. I had a Pioneer AVIC F90BT in my '07 and did a flush mount camera install. I paid for the Pioneer camera for ease of hook-up to head unit.

Look for my post- Pioneer ND-BC2 camera installed w/pics.

Mark

07 ST, that sounds like a wireless product. I've heard wireless were nothing but problems with interference, plus I have a double DIN head unit going in with built in monitor, so no need for the separate monitor or rear view mirror setup.

Thanks though...

Stad, not my first time at the rodeo for sure. My post count isn't correct due to the change of software/ownership of the forum over the years (we're actually well over 2K posts, but who's counting). So yes, I did search first and saw a few AVIC installs but not much on camera choices, how they worked, whre purchased, mounting options, etc. Most just showed the head unit in the dash.

Thanks for replying as well...

I installed the F150 Tailgate camera. I also used the mirror, but this will work with any head unit capable of working with a camera. The camera was a 08 and up option on the F150 and will show up on ebay for around $150 for the camera only. Wiring is fairly simple. Hook into the reverse lamps and run the camera wire to what ever you are using for a viewer.

I just ripped out my fourth Wal-Mart/Pep Boys camera in three years. The wireless unit that bolts to your license plate. They don't last for crap.

I have one similar to what gary d posted except mine doesn't have the whole license plate cover it just attaches to the two holes at the top. I wish I could remember the name brand. But I can tell you that its worth it. I love it. It really helps when parallel parking in the city and has gotten me through some situations I would not have attempted without it. Spend a little more money and get a good one

Don't mean to stray too much off topic, but.....

Apparently the F150 camera is the only one that's worth a hoot. Okay, fine. I've got several monitors laying around because the cameras crap out. OTOH, the Trac is now mine (and the bank's) since I bought it off of lease. Instead of a monitor Velcro'd to the dash, which worked fine, I know that some aftermarket head units with video can handle a backup camera. BUT...are there any aftermarket head units that will work with the steering wheel controls? Because I love my steering wheel controls. :love:

Thanks everyone. I've heard good things about the Boyo and Crutchfield sells them, just not sure I can get one in time for my install this weekend. Going to check out a few stereo shops tomorrow...

I saw the writeup on the F-150 emblem, but don't want that big honkin' oval on the back of the truck...

Johnny, many stereos can work with OE wheel controls with an adapter. Check out a high-end/knowledgable shop and they can steer you in the right direction. I bet even a call to Crutchfield would get you an answer.

Mark

Latest posts