Anti Sway Bar and popup camper

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Been a long time since I posted here. I am hoping someone can tell me if I need an anti sway bar installed on my new popup trailer. I just purchased a 2003 Coleman Sun Valley. I am getting th ebrake controller installed saturday and they asked if I wanted an anti-sway bar. Will I need it? I have a 4x2 220 Sport Trac with the limited slip diff.

Thanks.

You would be better off with an anti-sway because pop-ups are so light that the wind can move them around, but it's not absolutely necessary. If it's me I'd get it.

I have a popup. I have the Anti-Sway Bar. I have noticed no difference at all with or without it. See the picts in my library.

This is from our sponsor Explorer Express (see side bar at left). The stock sway bar is only 3/4" diameter.

Swaybar 01-05 Sport Trac X-Spec rear sway bar

Price: $199.95

Product Description:

X-Spec Handling

Every Sport Trac driver will appreciate the effectiveness of a larger sway bar. This husky sway bar reduces body roll giving the driver better control and safer handling all the time - especially in emergency situations. A very desirable handling improvement with little loss of ride quality. We compared many brands and these bars, manufactured to our specifications after extensive testing, work and fit the best. Bars are bent to exact factory configuration, not the one size fits all, universal styles offered elsewhere. Recommended for 2WD,4WD OR AWD.

Ford revised the front sway bar for Sport Trac models. They are now solid like our 95-97 Explorer part. These vehicles require only a rear sway bar to upgrade to X spec. Bar is 1.125 dia with Energy Suspension poly bushings.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say it certanly wont hurt to have one, but IMHO, you won't need it w/ that camper. If the camper starts to wag the trac, try to redistribute some weight in the trailer. you should have 10-15% tongue weight...

The answer is no you should not need one. But it would be to late to find out you do. It is a good peace of mind for the $100 or so. I would recomend one I tow a number of differnt trailers and if I dont have the weight distrubting bars on I use the friction sway control.

I have towed a 2006 Rockwood 1610 popup about 6,500 miles so far, first behind a Hyundai Santa Fe and then a 2007 Sport Trac, including highway, rural twisting roads, and mountains, and in high winds. I have not not used a sway bar nor had any concern yet about sway. The low profile makes the camper much less sensative to crosswinds than higher trailers. Enjoy your new pop-up!

Latest posts