Answer me a question please???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Palmer

Reaction score
Here is the exact question as it appears on my daughters paper work. We are having a discussion as to how to interpret it.

What is the Capital of the state that shares it's long southern border with Texas?

Here is a map to help you...

85f0c9fd015cc66867c4b69808748ca6.gif

I'd say they are refereing to Oklahoma but I can see why there might be a question since New Mexico also has a "long southern border" and although it does not share all of its border with Texas is does share it with Texas.

As per many government hearings.....define 'long' please.....

I would have to think they mean OK but as Firedog mentioned, you could make a point for NM as the shared border is more than half of the entire southern border.

Fairly good question, its long southern border meant the state's southern border is long and shared with Texas, thus the answer is Oklahoma and the capital is Oklahoma City. Nelson, are you there?

Knowing the pathetic quality of some of the teachers here in Georgia and extrapolating from there, I am sure they are thinking Oklahoma City..completely ignoring the obvious fact that NM shares part of its southern border with TX also.

Texas is not a state. It is part of Mexico. The fedral government, doesnt know it yet..:p

I will be glad when they do. No more fedral income tax for undeserving social programs to non citizens..:lol:

The problem should read:

What is the Capital of the state that shares its entire southern border with Texas?

The answer being Oklahoma City, OK.

That is what it says. It doesn't say "part of it's" it says "it's". The way it is written, "it's" is all.

Ahhh - the wonderful English language.

grumpy

The answer is Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

It "shares" it's "long southern border" with Texas and it's definitely longer than New Mexico's southern border.

Actually, "it's" is only used when shortening "it is". The grammatically correct statment would be "its border". This does not imply the whole border. It could imply a portion of, or the entire thing. Thus, the use of a descriptor is needed. In this case the descriptor of "long" is weak, which is causing the confusion IMO. This is why I pointed out the needed edits above.