ANOTHER Tonneau Lock question!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodney Leary

Reaction score
Finally found a "cheap" used OEM hard folding tonneau cover on CL. I have read about two dozen past threads on my issues and I have some answers, but I need some clarification

1. I got a local guy that can key the locks to work with my ignition key. He wants me to pop the barrel locks out though because he is scared of breaking the plastic. I found a picture posted by another user that says the lock just "pops" up and out of the plastic sleeve. Is this correct? Can I get a better description?

3eada3ab2613779a04032cb26838574d.jpg

2. The section closest to the rear window has a cable issue, when the lock turns it does pop the latch below it but not on the far side. The previous owner has a rope tied to the cable in that side latch and he yanked on it to get the latch to open. I have read that means I will need a new cable assembly? Does that sound right? Should I replace the cable assembly before or after I get the lock barrel out to be rekeyed?

Thanks and sorry for revisiting a questions asked so much before.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did this for my used tonneau cover...although I just got a new key rather than keyed to my ignition key.

To make sure i didn't break anything on the black plastic cover/tube, I ran a hair dryer on it for about 15 minutes to help make the plastic more forgiving. Then I pryed with a big screwdriver and it popped right off.

I popped mine off tonight and sure enough, one of the tiny plastic clips broke too.. No big deal though because I know I need the cable assembly also.

The hair dryer is an excellent idea though!