Another Tire Question.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalton Hill

Reaction score
Ok, I want to order tires this size: 285/75/16's

What would i have to do so there would be no rubbing?

I have the the TT/SL on the ST now. what would i have to trim and how much?

Thanks once again.

Honestly, you can search this site and you should receive an abundance of information. In short, you may be ok with no trimming, or you may need to trim your front fender wells.... it really depends on the fitment of your specific trac and the exact 285's you're fitting. Do you have factory wheels?

Without any addt'l info. or specifics, I would guess you will probably have to trim the back of your front bumper opening to clear the cleats (tires) when turning and at partial -to- full stuff.

This is the size tire I am planning on running with the OEM wheels and much research has led me to the above answer.

I've got 285/75/16 BFG mud terrains and they rub on the sway bar and on the top of the wheel wells in the front if i hit a bump to fast. If and when you put them on drive with them for a week or two then look in the wheel wells and shiny black spots are rub spots. O yeah I have a tt/shackle and 1.25" spacers in the rear. Hope that helps

My experience with this sized tire, is, they will catch on your front splash guards (if you have them) during tight turns in parking lots, also. You may have to go with a wider wheel, too. I don't know if the stock wheels are wide enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just took my 285/75/16"s off and pot the TT back to specks. I had to replace the the wheel bearings on the front end. I ran them for 2 years and are going to put them back on after I put on the body lift. Ther are some rubbing in front and back. Splash guards, sway bar and a couple of other places. I got Pro Comp Extrains and the lugs on the side rubed the inside on the rear end mostly when you make fast turnes. Hope this helps.

you could definetly fit 285/75/16 on the stock wheel. i have 305/70/16 on stock wheels. my tires only rub at full turn with no trimming at all. you should be alright!

Latest posts