Another Shock Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay White

Reaction score
Per the Monroe Shocks web page, they list only one model of shock for the front of my 01 RWD Trac and that is the Sensa-Trac Light Truck shock, Part # 37177. For the back, they list 3 different part numbers; # 58617 which are the Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting Shocks, # 911035 Reflex Light Truck Shock, and # 37035 which are the Sensa-Tack Light Truck Shocks. The prices from AdvanceAuto on the Sensa-Tracs are as follows:

37177 - $43.99 ea.

58617 - $99.99 pair

37035 - $43.99 ea.

AdvanceAuto doesn't carry the Reflex (at least on their web page). They also carry the Rancho RS5000 series shocks for $58 ea. for the front and $60 ea. for the back. AdvanceAuto is running a special at 15% off plus free shipping on items over $75 plus Monroe is also offering basically a 4 for 3 option through the end of the month.

My Trac is a daily driver vehicle, that gets off the road once in a blue moon (mostly gravel roads). Can some one recommend the best shock for my vehicle? I stilll have the original shocks (at 122,000 miles ... I know!) Just looking for a better ride and handling. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shocks are a personal preference as much as tires. Monroe/Rancho is usually well regarded here, along with Bilstein, KYB and a few others. I enjoy the SensaTrac's soft ride,

but they may not offer the firmness a spirited driver may desire. Quite honestly, ANY replacement would be better than OEM, especially at 122K. I suggest you search "shocks"

in the suspension category, including the 2006 and earlier archives. I found at least 60 threads. Also compare Amazon's pricing with the mail in rebate and their free shipping.

Keep in mind that Monroe has discontinued certain models of the firmer Reflex line. Here's one shock post from this diverse crowd. Check the projects section for installation. GL

Last edited by a moderator:
I had sensa tracs on the front, but one leaked so I replaced them with Ranhco RS5000s up front. The ride is a lot frimer, but helped reduce nose dive a good bit. A times the ride is a bit to firm, but still feels pretty good. If you like a softer ride the sensa tracs are pretty nice, or you could also upgrade to the Rancho RS9000 series, which are adjustable. The RS9000s are around $100 bucks a shock.

I have Sensa Trac load adjusting shocks on the rear of my truck, they firmed up the ride a good bit. They also help reduce the sag in the rear end when towing my boat. I moved my boat further forward on the trailer to fit it in te garage, but this increased the tonque weight of the trailer. The load adjust shocks keep the truck level when the trailer is attached now.

One thing to keep in mind is that almost all Monroe/Rancho shocks are life time warrentied. As long as you have your receipt I think you can take them to any autoparts store and exchange them for warrenty issues. So look for the best price, Amazon has some pretty good deals on shocks.

My prference is the rancho rs5000 x 4. The reflex is only offered for the rear now. The sensa-tracs are too soft for me.

I have the rancho rsx that is the same as the reflex. They are out of production. So the rs5000 is the replacment from tenneco for the refkex and rsx.

I bought sensa-tracs for my mom grand marquis at the link below. at the time they had the best prices.

If you still have the OEM shocks on your Gen 1 trac, it doesn't matter what shocks you pick. You are going to be so blown away by the improvement in ride and handling. Seriously, OEM shocks on Gen 1 tracs were shit before the factory put them on.

I put on a set of Pro Comp shocks on my '03 Adrenalin at around 45k miles and couldn't believe that I was driving the same truck! Here is the link to the shocks I purchased:

Latest posts