Another Outsourcing RANT

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard if you call into some of those 1800 numbers you can ask to speak to someone stateside and they'll transfer you. Could be wrong on that, but you never know.

When I am on the phone with someone from India, Philipines, etc. I keep telling them I need to speak to someone who speaks english.

They always transfer me to someone in the states.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
A decade or so ago I worked a contract job to set up some IT at a call center in the Philadelphia suburbs. That center had trouble finding workers for the $10/hour they were paying, and most of those they did get came in on regional transit from center city. The average Phillipino would have talked, acted better and done a better job than those they attracted.

So, it's not so much that people here can't find call center jobs, but moreso that call centers in the state have trouble finding good people. Yeah, they could pay more and maybe attract a better worker...but at the end of the day, the job pays what it pays and it the staff that fills the jobs are worth what they are worth.

TJR

Yeah, they could pay more and maybe attract a better worker...but at the end of the day, the job pays what it pays and it the staff that fills the jobs are worth what they are worth.

Globalization is the science of the curcumvention of supply and demand. If you can not find workers for $10.00/hr, then you need to pay more.

The same goes, with if I am not willing to buy your product for the price you are asking, you either have a product that is worth less than you are asking or I don't need it bad enough.

Tom

companies also must survive.

So should Americans being able to find jobs.

If you can not survive on the product you are selling, make one that does. I am not saying that everyone needs to make $100.00/hr. What I am saying is that if it costs $100.00 to make a candy bar, then it costs $100.00 to make that candy bar. Sell it accordingly. If nobody wants to spend $100.00 + a fair profit for that candy bar, then the people do not want a candy bar for that price and will have to go without.

If you allow the candy bar to be made outside of the country for $50.00, people will not be able to buy those candy bars because nobody is working.

In the end, the rich will remain rich and the poor will become more poor.

Tom

So, it's not so much that people here can't find call center jobs, but moreso that call centers in the state have trouble finding good people.

They aren't looking in the right places, perhaps. College towns, especially more rural college towns, have a dirth of high paying jobs, and lots of people who want to work, and wouldn't have any qualms about phone support. 10/hr is more than a lot of collegetown jobs pay, so perhaps quality individuals could be procured who would perform the work.

As an added bonus, during the time that most customers are free (weekends, evenings), so too will be a fair number of students, who can be on hand to answer the phones.

If only there was a phone support outsourcer who based itself in collegetowns. It might work.

Since companies are going to outsource as much phone support as they can, they might as well outsource it in America.

KL,

SQ footage for office space in college towns often isn't that cheap, nor are taxes. That's another consideration.

Had a call from my old college last night from a student phone solicitor. Didn't seem like the sharpest tool in the box, but a nice enough kid.

Caymen said:
In the end, the rich will remain rich and the poor will become more poor.

That's the Caymen I know and love. Scarcity principle abound. Both can't do well. The only way for the rich to get rich is by making others poor. Must be so, so tiring carrying around that big chip on your shoulder all day...the one that has "victim of the man" engraved on one side; and "kick me...everybody else does" on the other. For me...no chips. If I don't like what I or others are getting out of life, I know its probably MY or THEIR frault and I do something about it.

TJR

When mininum wage is around $7, $10 is a living wage. If you can't live on what you make, adjust your lifestyle. The premise that says you get better workers if you pay more money only goes so far. I was raised to do as good a job as I could, regardless of the pay. If I wanted to get more money, I could get educated to get a better-paying job. Do away with welfare, then people who are living on it would be forced to find a job lessening the immigration problem (people who will work for the wages others won't)

Dougly gets it.

Welfare, workfare, and other programs that give people things simply "because" (read: for no real reason, most definately not because they worked for it) has been killing this country for over 50 years.

Let the churches hand out the welfare, not our government, which can only give by picking the pocket of the workers. Let people educate themselves and work hard for good jobs and pay, and not expect the good jobs and pay doled out via some entitlement or some racket.

TJR

I am not a suporter of welfare as it is now. I fully support helping those that need help when the help is needed. Welfare should not be a way of life. It is a helping hand when a helping hand is needed.

With that being said, shipping the jobs to 3rd world countries is not the answer. The free market, if there is such a thing anymore, will keep everything in check. Wages will balance out and the costs will come down to support the wages and likewise the wages will support the costs.

Is supply and demand works in the marketplace, then it has to be allowed to work in the job place. If nobody is willing to work at the rate you feel the job is worth, then you find people (in your own country) that will by either moving them to your area or moving to theirs. there are plenty of people in rural places that would do just about anything to have some income.

I don't have entitlement issues. I have a good paying career. I am not some loser that thinks I got the raw end of every deal. There have been cases where I have been stepped on, but spoke up and took control. I also am not so niaeve (sp?) to think that all employers will pay an employee what he/she is worth. Most of them will pay as little as they have to and never offer any more, no matter how much they may deserve it.

I still stand behind my statement of moving jobs out of the country is good business. It is destructive to this country and her people.

Tom

Caymen,

If you don't want us to keep shipping jobs out of this country, or bringing skilled foreign workers into this country, then don't blame those that make the jobs, blame those that should be TAKING the jobs (or should be preparing to take the jobs).

American business, especially small business, has proven that it will pay whatever it takes for a valuable resource. But the key is that there has to be value. Value is defined by a trade-off of cost and function. Lower functioning and capable employees might cost less, but their value is lower. Higher capable workers are more valueable and therefore can and do cost more.

The problem is that our people haven't kept up. Our work ethic is dead, for the most part. There was a time when "work" in this country meant farming. There were lazy farmers, and they didn't have much. Then there were smart, ambitious farmers and they did well. Farm automation made need for farmers dwindle.

Then, the majority of work shifted to manufacturing (factory jobs, construction, etc)..., skilled, manual labor. Again, those willing to work hard did well. Manufacturing jobs aren't as prevalent as they once were, again due to automation, offshoring, etc, and the simple fact that most people aren't willing to do the work at the price most employers are valuing it. Putting tops on bottoms became a commodity that could be done in China, or Korea...that isn't new...it started before you were born. Its fun to claim the problems of late are new and caused by offshoring, but that started a long, long time ago, and the economy of the 40s and 50s wasn't arguably any better than the 80s or 90s...and manufacturing was already dead by then in this country. Most just wouldn't accept it.

So, that leaves the latest form of work. Its called knowledge work. Just like agri and manufacturing before her, the USA led the way, optimized the crap out of the industry, and after perfecting it (okay, not perfect...but damned good), others in this world started doing what we do, cheaper, for no other reason than they can.

We've given up on our leadership in the knowledge working area too quickly. We dominated agri for probably 100 years, manufacturing for 60 to 70, but knowledge work for only 30 or 40. The cycles of our dominance are getting shorter and shorter.

The only savior here for the USA is to recognize that what we do best and exploit that. We are best at being the FIRST and the BEST to do something, and to dominate it on the global scale. So, since it is clear that those "somethings" that we dominate come in periods, and those periods seem to be getting shorter and shorter, it seems to me that we clearly need to focus on EDUCATION and educating our people (our kids) so that they can THINK and can INVENT the "next big thing".

I'm optimistic on one hand. But I am very concerned that so few students are coming out of high school well versed in math, science, and fluent in English, and possessing good soft skills (reading, writing, verbal communication). College assumes entering students have these skills. We aren't delivering...and kids, parents, and 20-somethings don't seem to care and don't seem to understand how other countries are taking over.

TJR

I keep telling them I need to speak to someone who speaks english.

They always transfer me to someone in the states.

That does not always work because most of the overseas call centers cannot transfer calls back to the US.

I recently had a problem with my Time/Warner cable and called. I got someone from India or Pakistan? He had a very heavy accent and I was not able to understand much of anything he was saying, plus there was a lot of background noise at the office where he was. I asked him to transfer me to someone who spoke english better and was not in such a noisy office. He said he was not able to transfer outside of his office. He recommended that I hang up and call again and I would probably get someone else.

I thought that was kind of rude brush-off, but it actually worked! I immediately called back and got someone who spoke perfect english (Probably in the US) and it was easy to hear and understand her.

...Rich

We are a nation of idiots enabled by the federal government. This same federal government wants to redistribute the wealth from the richest to the poorest, so we can all live like the lower 47%, who don't pay taxes. We don't produce or manufacturer in this country because the federal government has made it possible for someone not to work and live a "somewhat" comfortable life on programs the top 53% pay for.

Les,

UPDATED:

I can't argue with that. Many have lost the eye of the tiger. It has been replaced by many with the eye of envy. Many like to blame greedy corporations and rich executives, mostly because they recognize they themselves will never have the drive, determination, skills, and dedication to make it to the top where they can then call the shots and manipulate the game.

Used to be, people in this country were very content with what they had, or at least content in the "fight" to better themselves and get more. Now, people want what others have and don't want to be inconvenienced (by hard work, delayed gratification, sacrifice, etc) to get it.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
TJR

I think the majority of mature adults are content still today, its our driven computor, electronic,ipad, android overwiegt, underworked youth who are the malcontents.

that the one good thing about getting older, you become very content and thankfull for what you have, you need no more at any level.

Bill,

I guess I agree with you in a general sense, but I suspect it depends on what you consider "youths" today. The recession has made many people more content with what they have, and shown them the foolishness of living beyond one's means. That lesson was best learned by the 40 and 50 somethings, and a stark reality for those pre and early retirement years. These times have made most adults look back and say: "if I only spent less, if I only focused on obtaining the truly important."

I think the generation just coming up may not learn that lesson. Heck, we were told (and shown) by our grandparents that went through the depression what it meant to live frugally. But we, for the most part, thought we knew better. When I say we, I mean most people now currently 30 to 50 years.

TJR

I had to call Dell support awhile back. I got a guy from colorado. He was very knowledgeable. solve my issue plus a few others that really didnt bother me. He was very pleasent to chat with. We actualy talked about other things also.

He told me he was retired and was doing tech service, to fill his free time.

The next time I got a woman from india. Couldnt under stand her. Also she had me to download a small program that was supposed to be a fix for my issue. It screwed my computer up worse. Had to uninstall it. Then she had to get someone else to help edit the registry, to fix her screw up....:angry:

Latest posts