Another Gen2 Brake Bleed Discussion

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter V

Reaction score
I finally had a chance to tackle the infamous "soft" brake pedal feel on the Gen2 STs over the past weekend; wanted to share some feedback since there's a SB out on it.

- replaced all four bleed bolts with speedbleeders

- replaced the OEM brake fluid with high temp Racing Blue DOT 4 brake fluid

- total time invested, slightly over an 1hr 15mins

My initial impression was that brake pedal feel definitely firmed up. Was it a night and day difference? Not entirely so...however, the force required from my foot to slow down/stop the ST seems to decrease somewhat. Whether it was from a simple exchange of the entire fluids or switching to higher temp DOT4, I cannot answer. Would I recommend that all GEN2s do the fluid exchange? Absolutely, if not just for the security of knowing your brake fluid is fresh and good for another 20K miles.

Let me know if you any of you need tips on making it a painless fluid exchange/bleed.

I also had the soft pedal feel. Until this wknd. I put new shoes and rotors on the front and noticed a huge difference. What I found that may have been contributing to the soft feel was that the bottom caliper slide pins were seized solid in their holes. This may have led to glazing of the rotors and pads therefore diminishing stopping ability. It seem before I needed to pump pedal to get the same feel I have now, which is push and I'm stopping. Not a 100% sure this is a permanent solution but happy with results. You may have same issue if inner pad is worn much more then outer one.

Holley/Earl's are another option. All others I've seen have pointed tapered seats that require over tightening to seal. Stock bleeders have blunt tips.

Try this link. If not, Google "Holley Solo Bleed". Check thread sizing. 3/8-24?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a pic comparing the stock (top) seat to the Dorman 12701 speed bleeders that appear identical to the Russell SB3824. Eddie had an issue sealing and returned them.

I have the Russell and they are doing fine.

To add to the mix, and if you have extra money laying around, look in to these:

Those are very cool Yardsale, but at $65 EACH they should be. LOL

@toptobottom

Is it bad that I just hit reload on speed bleeder website since I saw their hit counter there, to get them from 1.38 million hits to 1.4 million?

Also thanks for showing me those, might invest in them

Ya; they're cool, but that's for the built-in banjo bolt model - the bleeder only is a bargain at $35.00 (!). Still, almost affordable.

why mess with check valves and pumping the pedal... just go with a power bleeder!

lightly pressurizes the reservoir, and you just crack open each OEM bleeder and the fluid is pushed out. Next to impossible to get air in the lines and works great.