Another Boring Tire Question (Long!)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought my 2007 Sport Trac in June of 2006. It came with the factory stock Michelin 235/70R16 tires. One of the first things I looked into was replacing the tires. I don't have anything against Michelin but I wanted a larger tire with a brawnier look. I immediately ran into problems trying to purchase new tires. Every place I went said that their guidelines precluded them from putting on any size tire except the stock 235/70R16 size. One tire dealer even contacted Ford (both the local dealership and Ford's home office) and was told it's 235/70R16 or nothing.

At that point in time, I figured I'd just go someplace and buy a set of tires mounted on new wheels and bolt them on myself. That way nobody would be none the wiser. However, the cost of a nice set of wheels with new tires was more than I could afford at the time and I decided I'd worry about it at a later date.

Now, almost two years later, I've been thinking of doing something with the tires again, mainly because the Michelins, although they've performed wonderfully, are pretty much worn out (30000 miles) so I'm going to have to buy tires one way or another.

What I'd like to do is go to a slighter bigger size than stock (265/70R16) and I'd like to, at least for now, keep the stock wheels. However, a new problem has reared it's ugly head: that is the Tire Pressure Management System (TPMS).

My question reallly boils down to this: if I mount a set of 265/70R16 tires on my stock rims, will the TPMS give me any problems? Has anybody out there done this? If so, what has been your experience with the TPMS after you've put on larger tires?

My thinking is the recommended pressure for 265/70R16 tires is probably going to be the same as the stock 235/70R16: 35 PSI. If this is the case, the TPMS should work fine. What I don't want is to have to reset my dash display every time I start the truck up.

Can anybody share their thoughts with me on this matter? I'd appreciate any and all responses.

From what i've read and heard, you can put 265's on there with no problem. i don't understand what those people were talking about when they said guidlines, but maybe another member will. I think you will be fine tho.

tarheelfanb20: I think the "guidelines" referred to by the tire dealers are based on information provided to them by Ford in regard to what size tires Ford recommends be used on Ford vehicles. The tire dealers have guidelines that they adhere to. Alot of this came about after the Ford Explorer/Firestone fiasco where tires were blowing out and people were getting killed. So tire dealers probably were being very careful not to do anything that Ford recommended against in order to avoid lawsuits.

When I asked the dealers if they could put 265's on my vehicle, they told me no because Ford had instructed them not to use anything other than stock size as replacements.

The owners manual for my ST is very specific in this regard also. It says in no uncertain terms that the only tires you can use as replacement tires absolutely MUST be the same size as what came on the vehicle.

However, what I will do if I have to, is pull the wheel/tire assemblies off my ST and take them to a dealer willing to put 265's on.

Again, my REAL QUESTION is: if I put 265's on my STOCK FACTORY wheels, how will my TPMS react?

The TPMS should be fine with a different sized tire. Chain stores generally are resistant to installing a different size for liability and company policy reasons (i.e. CYA). Go to Fred's Neighborhood Tire Shop and they will likely not have a problem.

hellhound94,

I think you are right. The tpms will work fine. I don't know this for a certainty, but the system probably won't be affected by the volume of air, just the pressure.

:)

You could put those 2-story tall dump truck tires on it and the TPMS sensors would be fine. They only respond to pressure, not volume.

Discount tire in my area doesnt care about specs. They will sell you any combo that will fit under the fender.

To all who replied to my post (and in advance to any others that have anything to add):

THANK YOU all very much for your input. My plan is to approach the local franchise of

4 Wheel Parts performance centers sometime this week and see if they are willing to install a set of BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A'S or something similar on my stock wheels.

Following the install, I'll post the results on this forum in an effort to save anybody else from having to go through all of the BS that I've had to.

Thanks again, everybody! And if anybody else has anything to add, please do so as it'll be at least two days before I can get to the tire place.

Latest posts