Animal cruelty -- Is this true?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam H

Reaction score
The link contains a page promoting Vegetarianism. I eat meat and I still will continue to do so, but good lord...this video is horrific.

I'm sure this video exonerates the worst, but I'm sure that there are better ways of treatment, or is this it?

http://www.chooseveg.com/animal-cruelty.asp

Sad to say, this is how animals for food are treated for the most part. The last thing people in the industry are thinking about are the animals "feelings". They're just profit and the quicker and cheaper they can move that along the better. Did you know that a leading fast food chain "engineered" a specific type of chicken for their chicken nuggets? I used to work at an all vegetarian store where employees weren't even allowed to bring/consume meat on the premises due to issues that this video address. If you're going to eat meat, choose free range or organic. These animals are treated more humanely and in my opinion they taste better!:lol: Farmers in Japan produce what they call Kobe Beef and in the process of raising the cattle, they're treated like royalty! They let them roam free on the farm, they get massages, they even have them drink beer. I know this sounds cheezy, but the end product is the highest quality beef you can get anywhere. It's all about making wiser choices:D.

We kill the animal, we slice it up, we eat it raw or cooked, all for our own pleasure.

There is no humane way to kill something, no matter what anyone tells you.

There are less painful ways of killing, and of keeping animals, but killing is killing.

Is it cruel? I don't know and don't care.

Cow, chickens, lamb, duck, all taste darn good. I'm at the top of the food chain for a reason.

Get in my belly!

TJR

I'm with TJR. They are here for a reason. I'm not a rabbit, and I'm damn glad, they taste good. No nice way of killing something. I don't care if they treated the animal like it was a long lost brother, if the end result is killing it, why bother.:wacko:

Meat, it's not just for breakfast anymore.:D;)

I once saw a bumper sticker that said, "If God didn't want us to eat animals, why are they made of meat?"

I agree that there's no humane way to kill an animal, but I don't think that's the issue here. I believe the issue is the way they're treated while still alive. Slamming animals on their heads, cooping them up in their own feces with no room to move, or dismembering them while there still alive and conscious are just uncalled for IMO. I make a living helping sick and injured people live and I believe all life has value. I guess some people will always be ignorant, that's why we have this problem in the first place.

I agree with HawaiianST.

I like meat, I really do. Just today I put a couple of Lobsters in my stomach. Before they went into the pot of boiling water, I was kind to them. I know they have feelings. If anyone thinks animals are worthless, obviously they never had a pet. Each animal has its own personality. Some are more friendly while others are not. Just like people.

I have a dog. If it wasn't for her walking on 4 legs, being covered in fur, and unable to speak a language, you would think she is a person. She has fears, she has feelings, and she makes it known what she likes and dislikes.

I know she doesn't like Purina dog food. I know she likes to eat chicken, but prefers beef. I know she likes to play hide and go seek with me after work. I also know she really enjoys when I ride my scooter down the street and she is allowed to run after me barking. I know this. How? When I ask her does she want to go on a scooter ride, she get excited. When I ask her does she want to go on a run, she goes wild. If I ride her down the street on the scooter, she will try to jump off my lap to run.

Do I sound like a whack job? Maybe. Does my dog think I am the greatest person on earth? Yes she does!

Do I think she is the greatest dog on earth? You Bet!

The really sad part is that I will never get another one like her. She was the only one with that personality.

Tom

its funny Tom,

I was thinking of that while I'm watching each one of those animals get slaughtered. Some of those scenes remind me of the holocaust.

Now, are we not all falling into the same debate as politics? Of course the video is going to show you the most horrific footage to try and get the point across. (just like in politics) I live near a very large chicken farm that supplies chicken to all the local stores. These chicken live better than some humans do. Am I saying there aren't places like that in the video. No. But people eat meat and it's a big business. When money can be made, you will have places like this that are out to just make a buck. There is your footage. Oh, and I also work in the healthcare field, and owned pets, but I also hunt and eat what I kill.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
stonemiser, I could see how you could mistaken this thread as being politically related since politics are in the air right now but this has nothing to do with politics. This is about animal cruelty.

Just to let you know, I also hunt and fish. I know these animals probably lived a happy life up to that point and I'm fine with that. I grew up on a tiny island in the middle of the pacific where a large part of our diet comprised of the animals we hunted food we planted. My Grandfather raised chickens and pigs.

Sure, places like those shown in the video will probably always exist. Doesn't mean we need to support that. Working in the health care field, I have provided care to people who, due to their injuries and condition I know they'll die. Does that mean my care ends there. Absolutely not, if anything that person receives even MORE care.

Like I've said before and I'll say it again, all life has value. If an animal dies so that I can live, that animal has my respect.

Stone has it right. Does it happen, yep. Is it the norm, nope. Does it make for sensationalism and videos like that one? You bettcha because that is what sells their message.

Does it change how I feel about that steak, baby back rib, or chicken breast that LOVE to eat. Heck no! We are raising these animals for one thing and it's not to be someones pet. Their sole purpose in life is to provide food. Keep that in perspective and quit the irrational analogy to liken your fido or fifi to animals raise specifically for slaughter.

I don't buy the organic or free range product mantra because that is a gimmick for retailers and wholesalers not the producers. My familiy had a farm. I'd take sweet corn to the local farmers market and several occasions I had large buyers ask if we used pesticides on the corn. Truthfully, I said no. They never asked if we used fertilizer or nitrogen on the crop. In my mind, only eliminating the pesticides isn't all there is to being organic. Once I asked why and the answer was "so I can lable it organically grown for a better profit."

What's the difference in humanly killing for food and just making sure the animal died? I don't see a whole lot. So what, if in the last few moments of food supply items life it finishes it in sheer terror? How is it any different from the final moments of a deer who was minding his own business nibbling on some grass waiting for doe and suddenly some hunter with a thirty-ought-six puts a single round through its chest and it dies 150 feet away from the point of impact. How is it much different for the duck or goose who was looking for food and a safe landing only to get blasted out of the sky by some hunter. Is it that much different when some drunk veers across traffic and smacks another car head on and kills the other driver who was just trying to get home after a long, crappy day at work? The final result is the same. DEATH.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hawaiian, I understand your point, but nowhere did I say that I support it. I was just trying to state that just like in the politic threads, RichardL said:

Remember the old rule: "Don't believe anything you hear, and only half of what you see." That is doubly true during an election campaign.

These people will go to the few places that treat animals this way, to try and persuade people to thier way of thinking. Some people are just dumb enough to think that every slaughterhouse is like this.

We can go round and round on this and get nowhere. I just stated my opinion is all.;)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c0zJSgHDnpw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c0zJSgHDnpw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I do eat meat but very little in comparison to most. That said, though there may not be a truly humane way to kill the animals, there certainly is better and more humane than what is in the video.

It is ashame they go through the torture...

I hate to say it, but bullets seem more humane than most of the convoluted things I've seen for slaughtering animals.

Reminds me of Dennis Leary...

Red meat, white meat, blue meat, meat-o-f*****-rama. You will eat it. Because not eating meat is a decision. Eating meat is an instinct! Yeah! And I know what it's about. "I don't want to eat the meat because I love the animals. I love the animals." Hey, I love the animals too. I love my doggy. He's so cute. My fluffy little dog.. He's so cute- There's the problem. We only want to save the cute animals, don't we? Yeah. Why don't we just have animal auditions. Line 'em up one by one and interview them individually. "What are you?" "I'm an otter." "And what do you do?" "I swim around on my back and do cute little human things with my hands." "You're free to go." "And what are you?" "I'm a cow." "Get in the F***** truck, ok pal!" "But I'm an animal." "You're a baseball glove! Get on that truck!" "I'm an animal, I have rights!" "Yeah, here's yer f***** cousin, get on the f***** truck, pal!" We kill the cows to make jackets out of them and then we kill each other for the jackets we made out of the cows.

You will eat the meat folks, because this country was founded on two things. Meat, and war. You eat enough f***** meat, you wanna kill somebody. That's the way it works. That was the ultimate American dream. During that Persian Gulf War, I was sitting in my living room, naked, with a can of Budweiser and a three inch stake watching the war, live, on TV. I had a six foot erection with a giant cheese burger on the end of it. I ate so much meat during the war that by the time the war was over three weeks later, I was like, "No no no. We need to keep fighting. Make a couple of stops on our way home from the Persian Gulf. First stop! Vietnam! Surprise the fuck out of those people, huh?" "You make a movie?" "Not this time, pal!"

Hawaiian ST said:
I make a living helping sick and injured people live and I believe all life has value.

Yep, it does. The value of a chicken's life is about $2/lb, and the cow about $6/lb, on average.

Yeah, we should try to treat animals as cruelty-free as possible. But ultimately, the cruelest thing we do is kill them, so sugar coating all the rest to make us feel good smacks of hypocrisy to me.

TJR

I'm sure this video exonerates the worst...

From the American Heritage Dictionary:

ex·on·er·ate (&#301;g-z&#335;n'&#601;-rât') tr.v. ex·on·er·at·ed, ex·on·er·at·ing, ex·on·er·ates

1. To free from blame.

2. To free from a responsibility, obligation, or task.

Is that truly the word you wanted to use?

Latest posts