Ammo Can Console

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampTrac

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
I was tired of the bag console in 02 st so I made this. I really love how it turned out.
20231218_121448 (2).jpg
The first step is to remove your old console. There are two different kinds in a 2002. I had the short one, so I wasnt worried about losing rear ac or power. This link shows how to remove both. After youve got that out of the way you will see two metal places without the rubber floor. This is where you will secure your ammo cans.

Now you have to decide how to arrange your ammo cans. I stacked two in the back so I could still have an armrest, and put one in front for a cupholder. Obviously, you could do things differently. Once you have your cans, you should set them in place temporarily to see what you like. I rode around with mine stuck to the floor with magnets for a week before I decided what i wanted :) Before you go any further, if you want to paint your cans, now is the time. Personally, I like the green so I chose not to.
20231218_121344.jpg

Another thing to decide is if you want to keep the lid gaskets. I removed mine, and while it greatly improves the ease of opening, it also causes a lot of rattle. I just turn up my radio :) So thats something else to consider.

Next I bolted my two back ammo cans together. I turned the bottom can to face the back for back seat access, and pointed the top can to face the front. You could mix this up if you want. I bolted the bottom of the top can to the lid of the bottom can with some very short bolts (dont remember the exact size). Both cans still open, but when the bottom can opens, its lifts the top can with it.

Then I screwed the stack to the floor of the truck with self-tapping screws. Its very secure.

Now you have to decide about the front ammo can. I used a jigsaw to cut two holes in the lid for cup holder inserts. That was the hardest part of the whole project, but it looks very clean i think. I also mounted my phone holder to the lid as well. However, the cup holders and phone holder make it nearly impossible to open the ammo can. This wasnt a big deal to me, since theres plenty of room in the other two. Another option is to remove the lid of the front can so you have a big open container. I did this for a while, and it adds a lot of space, but it doesnt hold drinks very well. It also didnt look as good to me.
20231218_121317.jpg

After you decide, just use self-tapping screws to secure the can to the floor like the previous ones.

And i think thats pretty much it. This is obviously very customizable. I put a cushion on the armrest for a while, but I found that i didnt really need it. The ammo cans hold a lot. The top can tends to collect all my change and receipts, and the bottom can holds a change of clothes or my portable air compressor. If you wanted, you could insulate one of the ammo cans and make it a small cooler. That would be sick. Anyway, hope someone finds this useful.
20231218_121309.jpg

Great option to the factory bag or full consoles.

EXCELLENT work bro !!!

I dig the idea… but… I’d be worried about catching one of those edges, especially in an accident. Sharp(even somewhat) edges can do some pretty nasty stuff in minor crashes. Don’t get me wrong, I like thinking outside the box, pun intended, but just thinking about other scenarios. 🤘🏼

I dig the idea… but… I’d be worried about catching one of those edges, especially in an accident. Sharp(even somewhat) edges can do some pretty nasty stuff in minor crashes. Don’t get me wrong, I like thinking outside the box, pun intended, but just thinking about other scenarios. 🤘🏼
I see your point. I think my seatbelt and airbag will prevent injuries in the event of an accident tho. The edges arent too sharp.

Latest posts