Always Check Water Depth

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Gross

Reaction score
Take a look at this. While off-roading on sunday I just about sunk the Trac. I have never been as scared as I was when I realized I was in too deep. When we hooked up the tow strap to try to go forwards the Trac didnt budge at all, This is when I really got scarred. After repositioning the Bronco to pull from the rear we had some luck and finally got it out. When your truck is sitting on the frame its a really crappy feeling. Good thing for friends, M/T's and tow straps.

Oh by the way those are 265's so thats about 32 inches of tire and it wasnt touching anything, if I lifted my foot off the brakes the tires would just spin.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

And the B2 that saved the day.

[Broken External Image]:

I cant say enough for M/T tires. If either one of our trucks didnt have them we would have had to dig it out. Moral of the story is check how deep the water is before you got through.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt the 4 inch lift would have helped. Id rather have something that put power to both wheels in my rear. Needless to say thats it the next mod slated for the trac.

Great pics, Ian!

Sukks that you got stuck like that, but it looks like all turned out O.K.!

After a cold beer, some Xanax, and a full detail, all should be good!

Again, glad all is well...;)

Just think, the B2 is old.

I was actually talking about a Bronco II with my wife and If I had the money, I would get a Bronco II for a offroad vehicle.

I guess I never noticed it, but they are everywhere. Still after all those years, they are still on the road. Says alot about how they are built.

Tom

The Trac is fine no water damage not even the diffs ill have to check the t-case.

Cayman - Yeah there are still a ton I saw two on my way home from work today.

You have wheels in your rear?:eek::lol:

We almost got stuck this weekend, but without the water. Driving to the in-laws back pond up in East Texas, we went the old way up and over the hill. We found out why they've started going all the way around the hill when we got to the top and dropped into erosion ruts deep enough to drag the frame. I backed up and went around when I saw it was only going to get worse!

Doesn't look like water depth was even the issue. Frame would have hung up even if it was dry. And, what was scary about it? Trac got temporarily stuck. Merely an inconvenience.

Ian, if you are looking to add a limted slip you might want to look for an axle from a Ranger FX4. If its a 2003 or newer make sure its a Level II. They use a Torsen differential and 31 spline axles. The only negative is the 4.10 gears but that could be a good thing if you go with larger tires. Just make sure the front axle ratio is the same. They also use drum brakes and you might want to swap those for discs. I had a 2002 5-speed manual FX4 prior to the ST. Darn thing would go through some pretty rough stuff in 2 wheel drive.

Doesn't look like water depth was even the issue. Frame would have hung up even if it was dry.

You're right the ruts were too deep but it was the murky water that hid this.

And, what was scary about it? Trac got temporarily stuck. Merely an inconvenience

Again you're right, but this is near the airport in philly. Not a good place to have to leave your truck there are like 3 burned out cars down there.

blksn8k - thanks for the advice, as for the 4.10's thats already what I have, and the Torsen, I think I'm going to get the Aussie Locker.

It sure is fun getting it dirty now I have to get it clean though.

your vent tube for the front diff is pretty low, and will easily get water in it. I found this out when I installed my lift kit.

I would suggest locating it and adding some more hose on to it to make it harder for water to get in.

Oh and dont be afraid of that skinny pedal on the right while your in the mud:D

Chad

Took my 2wd ST through water that pushed over the hood and into the wiper cowl... and drove through pond where the water was well above the tires.... so did my brother's girl friends blazer.. Needless to say.. he blazer needed to be towed home while my ST never even hiccupped... my 2001 was a good ol' girl.

your vent tube for the front diff is pretty low, and will easily get water in it. I found this out when I installed my lift kit.

I would suggest locating it and adding some more hose on to it to make it harder for water to get in.

Yup already took care of it.

Oh and dont be afraid of that skinny pedal on the right while your in the mud

Yeah I found the rev limiter, but when you are sitting on the frame not much you can do.:D

Latest posts