Alternator pulley noisy

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh mcleod

Reaction score
I'm trying to diagnose a noisy belt. At first I thought it was likely a idler pulley or the tensioner. Although neither run perfectly smooth, it's the alternator pulley that's making the squeaking noise. I've called a few parts place (in canada) but I'm told it's not a "wear part" and I can't replace just the pulley. Do I need to replace the whole alternator?

I'm gonna start by changing the tensioner and idler pulleys. If I'm still hearing noise I'll replace the alternator. 2005 87,000 km

If it were me, I'd first remove the belt and hand spin the parts. If I couldn't determine which is bad, then, I'd spray the idler and tensioner pulleys with something like WD-40, one at a time, to try to locate the offending part.

Another thing you might try is using a mechanics stethoscope to locate the noise. A homemade and fairly effective version can be made with a piece of garden hose and a screwdriver (or only a screwdriver). You could even put a funnel on the ear side.

I've been use a 3ft. piece of 3/8 rubber hose for years and it's always helped me pinpoint hard to find noises. Fits tight enough to the ear. When I find the culprit I always think of it as getting hosed twice - once to find the noise and once to pay an enormous amount $$$'s to the dealer parts dept.

I had replaced my original alternator with a NEW NAPA unit (not reman) - so they claimed. Within a month a started hearing a strange noise from the front of the vehicle. It would come and go until it progressively got worse. I finally got my hose to the ear and sure enough it was a bearing. Took it back to NAPA for a warranty replacement and the new NEW one solved the noise issue.

I agree, how can a solid piece of steel that's mounted on a shaft without it's own bearing make noise?

Ok I think I've solved my problem. I replaced both the tensioner and the idler pulleys as well as the belt. I no longer hear any noise. Thanks for he responses.

I find it strange that the alternator squels pretty loud when I turn it by hand. Obviously there is no noise while under load. Btw I used a napa oem size belt.

Honestly, I really couldn't tell. I think it was the idler pulley. After removing and inspecting both the idler and tensioner pulleys I couldn't really find a problem.

Latest posts